Unauthorized automatic withdrawal

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
jkilpack

Unauthorized automatic withdrawal

Post by jkilpack »

In October I had two automatic withdrawals on my savings account--one for $4 and one for $6. In November, I had two more, one for $3 and one for $4. I use my checking account to pay my tithing--not my savings--and my online donation record does not show these amounts as being applied to my tithing. I have no idea what they are for--can anyone share some insight on what this might be? Thank you.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Unauthorized automatic withdrawal

Post by scgallafent »

jkilpack wrote:In October I had two automatic withdrawals on my savings account--one for $4 and one for $6. In November, I had two more, one for $3 and one for $4. I use my checking account to pay my tithing--not my savings--and my online donation record does not show these amounts as being applied to my tithing. I have no idea what they are for--can anyone share some insight on what this might be? Thank you.
Contact your ward clerk. He can contact the Global Service Center to have them investigate.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Unless you have provided your savings account number at some point to make online donations, the church will not have that number and thus cannot do a withdrawal against it. Are you sure the automatic withdrawals were done by the church? sgallafent's advice is sound, but if the church did not make the withdrawal it will not help you solve the mystery.

I suggest you first contact your bank and get the details. There is a possibility your account #s have been compromised in a security breach somewhere and hackers are making low $ withdrawals from multiple accounts (including yours) hoping they will go unnoticed. If this is the case, your bank should be able to help you recover the money.
jkilpack

Post by jkilpack »

Thank you both, the transactions say "Automatic Withdrawl LDS Distribution (Web)" but the possibility of a hacker is a good point. Thank you so much for the direction.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

What did you purchase from the LDS Distribution Center? You could login to store.lds.org and check your recent orders.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jkilpack

Post by jkilpack »

I purchased some items back in June, but that was charged to my credit card--I did some additional digging and there are other charges totaling about $100 over the last six months. All from Savings. The "from" is the exact same as my tithing payments and I haven't been reconciling the savings portion because it's long term savings, we don't access it often. I'm going to chat with my ward clerk about it and also call my bank in the morning. Thank you for your help.

Return to “Online Donations”