Online Donations History - Potential Issue

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
martintanderson

Online Donations History - Potential Issue

Post by martintanderson »

My wife and I recently got married in November of last year. When we did get married, she transferred her records (and, I assume her donation history) to my ward.
In December we decided to consolidate our tithing donations and so, I selected to have her membership details show on my donation record (As per the donations/settings screen).
Doing so seems to have created two problems.
1. My wife can no longer see her donation history for 2017 when she logs in and her individual tax statement for 2017 is blank. (neither can our Ward Clerk view either).
2. When I look at my donation history, it shows her name on the report for the whole of 2017 but does not show any of her contributions - only mine.

Even if I deselect the 'show spouse on records' checkbox, she still cannot see her donations.

These are obviously issues. I have asked my wife to look out her yellow tithe slips just in case since none were online donations.

Please advise.

Martin.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Online Donations History - Potential Issue

Post by russellhltn »

Odds are her former ward didn't connect her manual donations to her membership record. As a result, the donations did not follow her to the new ward nor did they show up on-line. It has nothing to do with the effort to consolidate the donation history.

She'll need to contact the prior ward to get a statement as well as to try and connect the donations to her Membership Record Number (MRN).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
martintanderson

Post by martintanderson »

Knowing the tithing process completed each week, how would that happen? Surely the donation is recorded on MLS and that is tied to her member number? Once the clerk submits the batch the details would be uploaded...
Do you have instructions that I can pass onto the ward clerk from her old ward or the clerk from our ward that would permit them to fix this issue?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mtanderso wrote:Knowing the tithing process completed each week, how would that happen?
Her donor record wasn't tied to her membership. I could see that happening if she arrived at the new ward and made a donation before her records were processed/moved in. The finance clerk kept assigning new donations to the existing donor record, but never got around to connecting that to membership. I suspect that situation is not uncommon.

I'd simply tell the old ward that the donations are not showing up and have them research the issue. If they don't know how, send them here and someone can help guide them though the process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Mtanderso wrote:I selected to have her membership details show on my donation record (As per the donations/settings screen).
Doing so seems to have created two problems.
1. My wife can no longer see her donation history for 2017 when she logs in and her individual tax statement for 2017 is blank. (neither can our Ward Clerk view either).
2. When I look at my donation history, it shows her name on the report for the whole of 2017 but does not show any of her contributions - only mine.
russellhltn's comments are spot on and, as he said, it isn't an uncommon situation. But it isn't hard for the clerk to fix if they know what to do.

But I wanted to add that the checkbox to show your spouse's donations does not actually affect either your or her donations at all. It doesn't actually consolidate anything. Each of your donations are still linked the same as before. The only thing the checkbox does is allow you each to see the other's donations when accessing the donation tool online. If you check the box, then she can see your donations (or rather the donations linked to your membership number). If she checks her box then you can see her donations (or again the ones linked to her membership number). But if you go to print the a donation or tax statement, it will actually print two statements, one for you and one for her. You can also check a box that will add her name to your statement (and vice versa) but that doesn't actually change anything either other than to add the name. You still have two statements.

Return to “Online Donations”