What to do if official year end statement does not match your online donation history?

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
33rbsj85

What to do if official year end statement does not match your online donation history?

Post by 33rbsj85 »

In March 2017, I made an in person (ward) donation to a ward different from my own. I gave the bishop and the clerk my Church membership number, when I made the donation, and it was correctly processed.

Looking at my complete donation history for 2017 online, I can see that "ward" donation, in my online history made on 03-05-2017. However, my 2017 official donation statement from the Church is off, and does not include that $802 donation.

I tried to generate another official statement, but that one is off too, and does not match correctly. However, that March 5th donation correctly remains in my donation history.

What do I do? There is no help online for this, no support, no phone number and you cannot even send message to anyone regarding discrepancies like this.

If I can see, and verify, the donation was made, and is in my donation history, but the program which generates the final, official statement is wrong, then what does a person do here????

Please advise. Thank you!

jon
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: What to do if official year end statement does not match your online donation history?

Post by scgallafent »

Talk with your ward clerk. He will need to contact the Global Service Center to have them look into it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: What to do if official year end statement does not match your online donation history?

Post by russellhltn »

What category was the donation? If it was for "Other" (Activities such as Youth Camp), that's not considered tax deductible and will not appear on the tax statement. The donation would show up as "Other" or "Other Authorized Member Financed Activities" (AMFA).

Given the facts, I suspect that's what's happened. (The donation has found it's way to your on-line account, but not to the tax statement.) Certain sub-categories of "Other" ARE tax-deductible (Book of Mormon, Temple Construction, Perpetual Education, Temple Patron Assistance), however, if you tried to earmark it for a specific cause, it might not have been processed correctly and ended up in the "AMFA" section.

That's not to say you CAN'T deduct that expense. You'll have to talk with your tax professional. It just doesn't fall into a category that's the church considers automatically tax-deductible. The difference is tax-deductible donations are donations for which "The Church provided no goods or services in consideration, in whole or in part, ... but only intangible religious benefits". Typically Authorized Member Financed Activities do NOT fall into that description. At least, not automatically.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Online Donations”