Donations.lds.org from overseas

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Donations.lds.org from overseas

Post by jdlessley »

Thank you for that update!
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
gkdyer

Re: Donations.lds.org from overseas tax and missionary accounts

Post by gkdyer »

I posted a question about Canada Tax Receipts a few years ago.

I can report that Canada Tax receipts have the Specialized tax ID numbers required by Canada, while my tithing account is still Linked to a Canada Chequing account I still get a valid tax receipt issued in Canada each year, which I can use in Canada and the USA for that matter, if needed. My Canada donation for tithing, Fast Offering, Humitarian aid goes to the Headquarters in Alberta, however, I was able to make donations to a missionary account by contacting a ward bishop in Canada, then getting the mission account set up in a specific ward in canada. Then donate to that specific missionary account fund setup in that ward by unit number. This cannot be done at the HQ office in Alberta as it needs an active ward bishop to approve responsibility for the Missionary account in a physical ward. Church headquarters Salt Lake City and Alberta told me about what could not work, but, it was difficult to figure out how to make it work. As a former Ward clerk in USA and bishopric member in Canada I knew this could be resolved. It just took about 4 months and 40 emails.

The biggest problem still, is I am only allowed one designated checking online donation account designated in Canada Dollar donations. I cannot have a second donation account linked to USA Dollars donation account. I have to write out checks mannually in the USA and get a end of year receipt that way. One day the church will fix this problem, hopefully.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Donations.lds.org from overseas tax and missionary accounts

Post by sbradshaw »

gkdyer wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:05 pm however, I was able to make donations to a missionary account by contacting a ward bishop in Canada, then getting the mission account set up in a specific ward in canada. Then donate to that specific missionary account fund setup in that ward by unit number. This cannot be done at the HQ office in Alberta as it needs an active ward bishop to approve responsibility for the Missionary account in a physical ward.
Only one ward is able to have financial responsibility for a missionary at a time. Is the missionary's home ward in Canada? Is everyone who's helping fund his mission (including the missionary himself, if applicable) able to pay through the Canada ward? Also, note that if you transfer the financial responsibility from one country to another, it can change how much the monthly payments are (in the United States and Canada, I think it's currently $400 a month, but other countries may require higher or lower amounts).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
gkdyer

Re: Donations.lds.org from overseas and missionary accounts

Post by gkdyer »

Official designated Missionary accounts can only exist in one ward at a time which is automatically subtracted each month by the church -- this is correct.

However, the ward clerk can setup contributions in a Ward Missionary account in a different country and currency. It would have to be timed and the account would have to be coordinated manually as to the timing to switch when to draw down that account in the second country such as the USA.

As I lived in the USA in a border area and worked in CANADA, I was actually paid in Canada dollars and initially setup the missionary account in a designated ward in Canada, even though my daughter's call came from the USA ecclesiastical chain. Meanwhile occasional contributions would trickle into the USA ward missionary fund for my daughter. I was able to time the switchover to the USA ward for the last several months of her mission to pay the final months of her mission.
The missionary department indicated that unused funds could be "switched" over from the former ward if any existed most recently -- but prior to this I was told that this was not possible because of the CURRENCY differences and the way donations were made in each respective country. Fortunately, I did not have to test that aspect as I contributed the exact amount in Canada to have a zero balance when I asked them to switch it to the USA ward. It took close coordination with the ward clerks and bishops to make the switch.

The New bishop makes the switch and agrees to sponsor the transfer.

Return to “Online Donations”