Reporting for Children

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
curtisa3rd

Reporting for Children

Post by curtisa3rd »

My children (ages 6, 11 and 13) paid tithing via traditional tithing slips during 2015. I would now like to get a report (either IRS or donation report) for each of these children. For the 13-year-old it worked fine. She has her own login and she was able to print the report. My 11-year-old also has a working LDS Account. When he clicks on the reporting for donations, he gets a message that he must be 13 years old so no report of his donations is given. I have looked at my account and the reporting available and I don't see anything about accessing the reports of my children. It appears then that reports and donations for children are in a black hole--not accessible by the children and not accessible by the parents. Am I missing something? My ward clerk directed me to the site to get these reports for my family but it sounds like the site was not designed yet with families with young children in mind?
eblood66

Re: Reporting for Children

Post by eblood66 »

That is correct. The donations site is not accessible to anyone under 13. Your ward clerk can print a statement for them from MLS. If you have been in the same ward all year then he can print a normal tax statement. If you have been in more than one ward then there will be a multi-unit statement available in the Financial Statements section of MLS that he can print that will have the donations make in all units (assuming each unit correctly connected the donations to the child's record).
curtisa3rd

Post by curtisa3rd »

Thanks for the quick reply. Hope this comes in the future.
dannacolton

Post by dannacolton »

Is there some way with parental approval, children under age 13 can start to donate online? I realize this isn't the case now, but can something be fixed or changed with parental permission for these kids to use the online donating? It is so much easier for my kids to pay their tithing this way. They work for our family business and they do pay tithing regularly. Please try to get this up and working for all ages. It seems that as long as their parents okay it, it shouldn't be a huge legal or other issue. Thank you!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dannacolton wrote:Is there some way with parental approval, children under age 13 can start to donate online? I realize this isn't the case now, but can something be fixed or changed with parental permission for these kids to use the online donating? It is so much easier for my kids to pay their tithing this way. They work for our family business and they do pay tithing regularly. Please try to get this up and working for all ages. It seems that as long as their parents okay it, it shouldn't be a huge legal or other issue. Thank you!
The forums are just user-to-user help so there is no one here that can effect any change. You're best option is to use the Feedback link at the bottom of the Donations page. You may not get an explanation for the current policy or an indication of whether any change will be made but the request will get to the people who make those decisions.

Personally I think a more likely option (and a less likely to be legally problematic option) would be to allow parents to make donations on behalf of their children. But given the many demands on the church development staff and the limited resources available that would probably not be a high priority.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keep in mind that there may be legal issues with children having accounts. While some sites may not care, the church is careful to follow the laws of the land.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Online Donations”