Donation keeps saying Insufficient Funds!

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
spraguea

Donation keeps saying Insufficient Funds!

Post by spraguea »

For the last 2 months I have donated online and it has come back with Insufficient Funds. I have confirmed with my bank that my routing # & account # is correct (it pops up with my bank when I enter the routing number); the amount is available (it is withdrawing from my savings account so the amount does not fluctuate). After a few days the LDS account says it did not go through due to insufficient funds. On the bank side, they never got a request and an NSF alert was not issued on their end.
Help! All I want to do is pay my tithing!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Donation keeps saying Insufficient Funds!

Post by russellhltn »

You might check with your bank to make sure you can do a EFT against that account. There are different ways of transferring funds - your bank may not honor all of them against a savings account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
spraguea

Post by spraguea »

I asked that too and they said I can.
mevans

Post by mevans »

You might try contacting the donations department to see if someone can help you. I would imagine the church is logging all the EFT transactions. Someone can probably look in a log file and figure out what's happening.

The very strange way that funds transfer works in the United States is that you send a request for the funds to the other bank...then you assume you got the funds. There is no acknowledgement from the other bank. If the other bank doesn't like the transaction, they will later send back an error code saying that the transfer failed. In general, I think this occurs within 4 or 5 days, but it can be a "late return" and be rejected several days later.

The church programmers may have wrapped various error codes into a general "Insufficient Funds" message. There are a whole bunch of different error codes that can be returned. Many of them may not be applicable or rarely applicable and might be wrapped up in a generic message to the end user.

The only way you're going to get to the bottom of this is to have a technical person at the church look at the return codes from the transaction. Hopefully they're staffed to check on such things. It shouldn't take long once they locate the transactions. Whether or not that is easy depends on how the programmers stored such information. This is first-hand experience. At a previous employer, I got to search the transaction logs to answer such client issues and worked to get better error information displayed in our software so I could cut down on the research requests.

Return to “Online Donations”