Suggestions for online donations

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
BStrawn

Re: Suggestions for online donations

Post by BStrawn »

Would it be possible to add a "User's notes?" I like the idea of the online donations, but I also like to write on my slips what I've paid on, this helps me make sure that I am up to date. Sometimes the donations is on my check or my wife's check or sometimes it is on something miscellaneous.
Thanks
jdhjones

Post by jdhjones »

I understand the option for an automatic recurring on-line donation doesn't work for everyone, but there are many others who would really like the convenience. Any thoughts on if the church will make recurring payments an option?
hartvigsen32

Post by hartvigsen32 »

I setup Bill Pay direct to Church headquarters (no need for Bishop to receive checks or clerk to fill out slip) in 2009. It works great. I do not have to think about it. I cannot forget. It is a blessing from on high. The convenience of recurring payments by far outweighs any benefit the Online system has. The IT department needs to figure out how to make recurring payment possible in the new Online system. It is not possible to pay for a missionary through Online Bill Pay to Church headquarters because those donations, among others, need to go directly to the ward. I use Bill Pay to send a check to the bishop for the monthly missionary payment and I scheduled it out for 18 months. Again, I cannot forget. Yes, the bishop gets it and the clerk does have to fill out a slip. Please add this functionality. I saw that someone noted that if you lose your job the recurring payments keep going. Yes they do. So would utilities, mortgage, rent, insurance, and any other automatic payments you have scheduled. If you lose your job I would hope you immediately review your financial situation and make appropriate adjustments. That is not a valid reason for the Online system not to have recurring payments.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hartvigsen32 wrote:The IT department needs to figure out how to make recurring payment possible in the new Online system.
They will do so when directed to do so by those in authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
esogs

Post by esogs »

It is possible the church protects itself from having to defend against people who try and get a "refund" for a charitable donation, because they claim that they didn't intentionally make that payment. Or in other wards, the church must account for charitable donations, and by definition, you give that with no strings attached. By requiring people to manually do this, the intent is clear. I'm not sure this is the case, but there may be some tax implications that they are trying to address with this procedure.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The Online Donations system was designed specifically to be as similar as possible to the procedure of handing an envelope to the bishop. Since the only way to make a recurring payment using the manual system is to prepare another envelope and hand it to the bishopric, that is the way the Online Donations system works.

That said, I would like to be able to do it, also. But the best we have for now is the ability to copy and use a previous online donation slip without having to fill it out again. This is helpful for donations to many categories, but for one or two categories, usually it is faster just to fill out the slip again.
tlclar

Post by tlclar »

russellhltn wrote:
hartvigsen32 wrote:The IT department needs to figure out how to make recurring payment possible in the new Online system.
The suggestion that, "now that on-line donations are a possibility, it would be labor-saving to have a frequently-made recurring donation entered once and then automatic until discontinued" is not unreasonable. I choose to interpret previous suggestions as merely noting this convenience, and not implying that Church webmasters are unable to accomplish this technically. As has been suggested elsewhere on this Board, there are bank-sponsored web payment services that will accomplish this same objective . . . you just have to put your faith in the bank. For some of us who trust no institution of this world, but believe the organization on earth administered with Christ at its head is worthy of more trust than most, a recurring payment to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints presents, at least to me, the safest possible and most acceptable on-line donation risk. Please feel free to share this view with any decision-makers appropriate.
SparkyMartin

Post by SparkyMartin »

BStrawn wrote:Would it be possible to add a "User's notes?" I like the idea of the online donations, but I also like to write on my slips what I've paid on, this helps me make sure that I am up to date. Sometimes the donations is on my check or my wife's check or sometimes it is on something miscellaneous.
Thanks
Adding an optional note is now available as a feature.
SparkyMartin

Post by SparkyMartin »

tlclar wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
The suggestion that, "now that on-line donations are a possibility, it would be labor-saving to have a frequently-made recurring donation entered once and then automatic until discontinued" is not unreasonable. I choose to interpret previous suggestions as merely noting this convenience, and not implying that Church webmasters are unable to accomplish this technically. As has been suggested elsewhere on this Board, there are bank-sponsored web payment services that will accomplish this same objective . . . you just have to put your faith in the bank. For some of us who trust no institution of this world, but believe the organization on earth administered with Christ at its head is worthy of more trust than most, a recurring payment to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints presents, at least to me, the safest possible and most acceptable on-line donation risk. Please feel free to share this view with any decision-makers appropriate.
The team is keenly aware of the strong desire to have recurring payment functionality. If it is to be implemented, it will be done at the right time...once all necessary processes are in place and risks mitigated.
durtschi

Post by durtschi »

Recurring donations-
YES YES
PLEASE PLEASE

Return to “Online Donations”