Donation Records and History under One Name

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
eblood66

Re: Donations Option

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:And if you look over the paperwork that the clerk gave you for 2014, you'll see just one name on it. Clerks were not able to combine names like they could before.
That's not true. Because we moved last year we received two tax statements for 2014, one from our current ward and one generated by CHQ. Both statements had both my and my wife's names.
johnshaw

Re: Donation Records and History under One Name

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:I'm having a hard time seeing how this is much of an issue at all, except for the fact that some people have a hard time with change.
I see two issues. One, in the past, women, particularly stay-at-home moms weren't happy that there was no paper showing their name on the tithing reports. They wanted the paper to reflect their financial partnership and not just name one individual.

The second possibility is that they want more "openness" in their financial dealings. They probably have joint banking accounts, maybe even joint email accounts. If only one can access the information, then it becomes like a "secret" and doesn't feel right to them.

I understand the desire, mostly rooted in emotional considerations, but I'm not sure as there is an answer. Perhaps the women should write to the General Relief Society Presidency to persuade the Brethren. :mrgreen:
There is one more where both work and pay tithing separately and when tithing comes for the wife - men, who are clerks, apply the tithing check to the man's name. Even if the checking account only has her name on it, even if the slip is filled out with her name on it, they ignore all of that and associate it with the husband. I know this affected my mother as long as 40 years ago.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnshaw wrote:There is one more where both work and pay tithing separately and when tithing comes for the wife - men, who are clerks, apply the tithing check to the man's name. Even if the checking account only has her name on it, even if the slip is filled out with her name on it, they ignore all of that and associate it with the husband. I know this affected my mother as long as 40 years ago.
Although I know this can sometimes be a problem, it's simply a training issue and can be worked out, just like any other mistakes made by imperfect clerks.

But I don't see how this particular issue is a problem related to the issue of using separate LDS Accounts for making donations. If anything, the issue you're raising is improved by the new donation system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Donations Option

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:That's not true. Because we moved last year we received two tax statements for 2014, one from our current ward and one generated by CHQ. Both statements had both my and my wife's names.
Looking at the thread I linked to, I see that question never got resolved. One was reporting the feature was gone, others said it was still there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

In the online donations under Settings there is an option for 'Display spouse name' with this note below it
When this box is checked, your spouse's name will display on all donor statements and donation slips. (NOTE: While your spouse's name may appear on donation slips and statements, donations are recorded to individual membership records.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:In the online donations under Settings there is an option for 'Display spouse name' with this note below it
That certainly helps in the first case I mentioned. But it still keeps transactions "hidden" from the spouse.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

It states in preferences, just below a box to check, the following.
When this box is checked, your spouse'’s name will be displayed along with yours on all donor statements and donation slips.
(Note: Although your spouse's name will appear on donation slips and statements, donations are recorded to individual membership records.)
Just to make it clear, when the check box is checked:
  • Name and MRN of both spouse's appear on all forms
  • shows the source as ward or online donation on all forms
  • the donation amount of each spouse appears on my 2014 "---Tax summary statement"
  • Both spouses names appear with each MRN, on the donation slip (Online white & yellow)
Is this statement correct? It is what I observe on my personal statement and slip.
However on on the "Donation History" and " Donor Statement of Contributions" (seems to be year to date.) my spouse's online donations are not listed, but the ward donations, of my spouse are.

I assume that this has to do with how the donations were entered into MLS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Just to make it clear, when the check box is checked:
  • Name and MRN of both spouse's appear on all forms
Only for the forms printed from that account. It does not pull in information from the spouse's account. In short, all it does is add the spouse's name - it does not change the report itself (the numbers) in any way.

Now, if it was me and I had donations in two different accounts, I'd leave that box unchecked. And here's why: If you ever got audited by the IRS, I think it might be difficult to explain why you have two reports with both names and different amounts. Unless it can be explained, the auditor might only accept one of the statements and reject the other as a duplicate. (At least that would be my concern.)

If each one had just the donor's name, the auditor isn't likely to make a fuss over it and accept the sum of the two statements for tax purposes.

1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

the donation amount of each spouse appears on my 2014 "---Tax summary statement"
Would you please explain then why both spouse's donations appear on my 2014 ---Tax Summary Statement ?
Also, then I suspect that for the 2015 tax statement that the spouses donation amounts will not appear?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Would you please explain then why both spouse's donations appear on my 2014 ---Tax Summary Statement ?
Also, then I suspect that for the 2015 tax statement that the spouses donation amounts will not appear?
You really want to find out, uncheck that box and run the report again. I think you'll find all donations listed was applied only to one person.

If it really combined two people, that would be functionality we've never seen before.

From the Online Donation FAQS:
Q8. Why can’t I see my spouse’s donations when I log into Online Donations?

A8. For legal and privacy reasons, donations are recorded under individual membership records. However, your spouse’s name can be displayed on reports. Go to Settings, and, under Preferences, click the Display spouse name check box. Your spouse would need to log into Online Donations using their LDS Account in order to see donations recorded under their member record number. Likewise, you cannot see your spouse’s donations, but your name can appear on his or her donation slips and reports if they check Display spouse name.

Return to “Online Donations”