Tithing

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
msanderssmith

Re: Tithing - privacy of online donations

Post by msanderssmith »

I have made my donations directly to SLC since living abroad as an expat. I have continued this practice for privacy reasons. How can I ensure that the specifics of my donations are not made available to people at the ward level, i.e., financial clerks and bishops?
johnshaw

Re: Tithing

Post by johnshaw »

You should've been grandfathered into NOT passing your information through to the ward. The way to check is to see if the statement from the Ward contains your contributions.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

johnshaw wrote:You should've been grandfathered into NOT passing your information through to the ward. The way to check is to see if the statement from the Ward contains your contributions.
But you have to keep donating in the same way you have been. You can't use the new online system. Those donations always show up in the ward records.
msanderssmith

Post by msanderssmith »

The past donations I made by mailing in my contributions to SLC are visible to the clerk and I assume others.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

msanderssmith wrote:The past donations I made by mailing in my contributions to SLC are visible to the clerk and I assume others.
I would assume that if the clerk can see the donations then the bishop(ric?) can as well.

If you feel a need to keep your donations hidden from your home ward, contact donations@ldschurch.org. They should be able to discuss options with you.
caroljeanv

Post by caroljeanv »

I cannot see my husbands tithing donations on my account. I checked under "settings" and his name is listed on my tithing slips - but not the donations. So I assumed he needed to set up his own account for donations but it tells me he already has an account. How do we access his donations also?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

caroljeanv wrote:I cannot see my husbands tithing donations on my account. I checked under "settings" and his name is listed on my tithing slips - but not the donations.
Donations can only be connected to one member, since donations by a member are connected by the member's MRN (Membership Record Number). Although there is a provision for statements to include the spouse's name as well as the donor's name, that doesn't change the fact that the donations are connected only to the donor. And with the online donation system, only the donor can see the donations that are connected to his or her MRN.

For donations you make using the Online Donation system, only you will be able to see them. But for donations made in your ward (by giving an envelope to a member of the bishopric), the donations will be credited to the donor selected by the clerks to connect the donation to. That is typically the first name listed on the donation slip, but you'd need to check with your ward clerk or financial clerk to be sure.
caroljeanv wrote:So I assumed he needed to set up his own account for donations but it tells me he already has an account. How do we access his donations also?
If he already has an account, then he needs to sign in to LDS.org in order to see those donations. If he doesn't remember his username or password, he can go to https://ldsaccount.lds.org to recover his username and password.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

caroljeanv wrote:I cannot see my husbands tithing donations on my account. I checked under "settings" and his name is listed on my tithing slips - but not the donations. So I assumed he needed to set up his own account for donations but it tells me he already has an account. How do we access his donations also?
From the FAQs

Q8. Why can’t I see my spouse’s donations when I log into Online Donations?

A8. For legal and privacy reasons, donations are recorded under individual membership records. However, your spouse’s name can be displayed on reports. Go to Settings, and, under Preferences, click the Display spouse name check box. Your spouse would need to log into Online Donations using their LDS Account in order to see donations recorded under their member record number. Likewise, you cannot see your spouse’s donations, but your name can appear on his or her donation slips and reports if they check Display spouse name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jmsimonsen

Post by jmsimonsen »

Do ward clerks see all donations? I want to donate tithing without the ward clerk seeing how much my donation is. I don't care about fast offerings, missionary fund or others but do not want my tithing donations known. Is this possible? If not I will continue to donate at the church office building each year.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jmsimonsen wrote:Do ward clerks see all donations? I want to donate tithing without the ward clerk seeing how much my donation is. I don't care about fast offerings, missionary fund or others but do not want my tithing donations known. Is this possible?
The clerks can see all the donations made via the Online Donation system this forum is about. It is not possible to change that.

There is a method via bill pay that might be able to hide it - but I'm not completely convinced about it's future if it requires any manual processing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Online Donations”