Meeting house Video Distribution over HDMI/ Cat6

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
pcardelli

Re: Meeting house Video Distribution over HDMI/ Cat6

Post by pcardelli »

By the way the church has been working on providing an upgrade to webcast. So far the beta looks promising, and better then Livestream which I have used in the past to get around HD limitations.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

michaelfish wrote:For example, this past week I demonstrated to our stake clerk how it takes only 2 (two) minutes to set up one camera and start broadcasting to our other buildings.
It takes longer than that for me to get the communicator to boot up, have the streaming session configured and start to broadcast. However, now that the camera has found a permanent home 20+ feet off the ground setup is much easier: use remote to power on camera, click dial to the camera on the AVDH-1, plug in the external fan to keep the communicator working, config the communicator and start the stream, done. One person, about 10 minutes total start to finish. Much easier than before.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

Update to an old topic...

During last night's worldwide devotional broadcast, I decided to test THESE.

Our stake center has it's satellite box in the back of the building, in the library. So, starting at the back of the Unity 552, I used it's HDMI port, via HDMI cable to the first balun, then via generic patch cable to the port in the wall. Then, in the mezzanine on the other side of the back of the building, on the "Cat 6" panel, I patched the library to the podium. Then at the podium, another generic patch cable to the other balun, then into the projector via HDMI.

Needless to say, this long, non-spec, circuitous route, didn't work.

So then I pulled out the 300ft Cat 6 cable we've used in the past with VGA baluns, and ran it down the hall, directly from the library, to the podium. It worked! The projector even declared 1080p for a brief second. Audio was routed out of the projector, into the EJ-8, then into an XLR jack for the chapel (and whole building) sound. A problem was discovered with the sound. I had no way to eliminate the right channel, so I had a mixture of Spanish and English. The solution, grab a VCR, and use it's sound via the building's normal distribution solution, into the chapel audio system.

Then it occurred to me, lets compare the two video feeds. Long story short, the HDMI was, at best, marginally better than the old RCA through the VCR. I was brighter and sharper, but not so much so that I'm ready to make the jump. We have a decent Dell projector, but it's no high end video display projector. It also could have been the source of the feed that caused the two feeds to be comparable. I'll try it out again during General Conference, when I assume the feed will be better.

Lessons learned or at least reinforced...

Single cable HDMI extenders just over 300ft, work! I left it running for nearly all of the hour long broadcast. The only issue was the audio, which was not a fault of the cable or the baluns.
Negligible video delay via HDMI over Cat 6 extenders. Given the IMAG requirement within the stake center, this is crucial.
I'll just have to temper my hopes for improving the video feeds and broadcasts in our stake. I realize everything is only as good as it's weakest link, and given our slow internet speeds, VGA projectors and Cat 5 cable runs, I'll just have to live with what we've been given. I'll seek to improve things were I can, for example, I might use these HDMI baluns in the remote buildings, for distribution into the RS rooms at stake conference.

I LOVE MY CALLING!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hagothsen wrote:Then it occurred to me, lets compare the two video feeds. Long story short, the HDMI was, at best, marginally better than the old RCA through the VCR.
I wouldn't be surprised but what the satellite feed itself is only SD quality. Perhaps to make room for all those audio translations and because they know most meetinghouses don't have HD. (I believe there's a different satellite channel that's used to feed broadcast TV.)

I've tried using the HDMI out of receiver in the past for recording, but ran into a flickering problem. The picture brightness kept changing slightly. I'm not sure what the cause, but something to be on the lookout for.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

russellhltn wrote: I wouldn't be surprised but what the satellite feed itself is only SD quality.
Agreed. For General Conference, I may also try streaming via YouTube or the LDS Website.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

The feed last night had definite issues. I don't know about the issues the satellite had, but we had only the english feed via BYUtv (roku) with flakey visual before the cutout.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

The 552 is SD 580tvl via the HDMI port, but what does work are the RGB connectors to an HD scaler. Picture looks far better that way.
Roland
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Hagothsen wrote:For General Conference, I may also try streaming via YouTube or the LDS Website.
Use the LDS Website at the meetinghouse, or you won't have much to distribute. The firewall will block YouTube.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
Hagothsen wrote:For General Conference, I may also try streaming via YouTube or the LDS Website.
Use the LDS Website at the meetinghouse, or you won't have much to distribute. The firewall will block YouTube.
I thought they turned off the YouTube block for General Conference weekend.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I thought they turned off the YouTube block for General Conference weekend.
That would be news to me. Do they also turn it off the week prior for the General Women's Session? And what about during the Worldwide Young Adult Devotionals and the First Presidency Christmas Devotional?

I think the streaming feed from LDS.org/broadcasts does not go through YouTube.

Return to “Satellite”