Missionary email system

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
zabaki

Post by zabaki »

Something different I just learned today.

In scandinavia we use letters such as ÆØÅ (or ö, ä, ë).
When the letter å (or Å ) is written, or ö, ä, ë then it is not sent in the email.

Eg. Stå på min venn.

Would show as: St p min venn.
Kyrandita

Post by Kyrandita »

I know this thread is a bit inactive, but in hopes that the people who originally posted are still interested, here's what I propose.

Both my Mission Presidents were cool with this, but some may not be...

I carried around a pendrive with the application suite from a site called portableapps.com installed on it. I carried around my own copy of firefox with my own bookmarks and cookie preferences... this same app suite can have thunderbird installed, IF the church (and mission president) is ok with it (I can see a couple of pros and cons with the idea) they could activate pop for missionaries that request it and know what they are doing, then, using the portable application they wouldn't lose half or fully written E-mails when the server disconnected, it would simply try again to connect and send until it succeeded. Logging in would only mean opening the application and waiting for it to download your most current E-mails, and write one as they wait... and space requirements would be fixed as you'd have all the space you could want as long as the server side of things was set to NOT keep copies in a SENT folder (for pictures) and not keep copies of things already downloaded...

and if anyone has worries about losing their pendrive, or a virus destroying all the information (and therefore all the E-mails) they can set a rule to auto forward a copy of all E-mails to a pre-mission-created other server account so nothing gets lost... (preferably not one that deactivates with inactivity...)

One potential problem I might foresee would be that, this application suite has a variety of other applications (check out the site) some of them cool, others just distracting, nothing BAD but still outside the realms of missionary life...

While I think that for some people this is a good option, I knew a lot of my companions who didn't understand computers that well so it should definitely be a per-request thing...

that is... IF it's even allowed... Any comments?

Sorry it's kinda long, I tend to over explain...
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Kyrandita wrote:I know this thread is a bit inactive, but in hopes that the people who originally posted are still interested, here's what I propose.

Both my Mission Presidents were cool with this, but some may not be...

I carried around a pendrive with the application suite from a site called portableapps.com installed on it.

One potential problem I might foresee would be that, this application suite has a variety of other applications (check out the site) some of them cool, others just distracting, nothing BAD but still outside the realms of missionary life...

that is... IF it's even allowed... Any comments? ..
I think you've answered your own question. The distraction is too great for misuse AND, as you've also stated, not everyone would be familiar with it. To my understanding the Church is currently using myldsmail.net for the missionary program. I do know that the Elders/Sisters in our area of California are all required to use that system if they wish to do Emails to their family.

Thanks for the suggestion.:)
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Techgy wrote:I do know that the Elders/Sisters in our area of California are all required to use that system if they wish to do Emails to their family.

This is true worldwide, if the mission president gives permission to e-mail (most do).

The best solution for us has been for the missionary to set his myldsmail system to send a copy of every message to another account. We use gmail, but it does not matter what other account is used. Then, the missionary just makes sure every message he sends gets copied there, and every message he receives gets sent there.

Our most recently returned missionary ran out of space on the server during the last months of his mission, so he deleted messages from his family from the early part of his mission.

Having returned home, he wishes he still had those messages. He would rather have them than the later ones he sent. (We still have them and are resending them to him, but it is a pain.)
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

My current missionary has had several email problems lately, which resulted in very short messages being received. The email also comes without wordwrap, which irritates people when I don't edit it prior to forwarding the email to others.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scion wrote:My current missionary has had several email problems lately, which resulted in very short messages being received. The email also comes without wordwrap, which irritates people when I don't edit it prior to forwarding the email to others.
Our missionary sent a few short messages, as well, until he realized that there was no save function in the system.

I did not mind the wordwrap status, since I had to edit the e-mails anyway before I forwarded them. But I think that might be a function of the e-mail client I was using, because even when someone sends me an unwrapped message, it displays just fine in my e-mail.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

The LDS missionary email system is frustrating. I don't know what, exactly, it is doing, but it seems to freeze, loosing what my missionary typed. It did that several times on the same p-day, resulting in a short note about how the allotted time was spent retyping the email several times & now it's time to go.

Also, my missionary sends all posts to 3 of my email addresses, all of which are with different providers. The lack of wordwrap is irritating.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Suggestion that can help.

Post by rmrichesjr »

You're not the only parent of a missionary who has expressed that the missionary email system has some difficulties. One suggestion that can help is to have the missionary use Notepad or similar program to type in the text, then copy-and-paste the text into the missionary email system. Doing that minimizes the exposure to crashes or other problems, and it keeps the text so it doesn't have to be typed back in.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Thanks. I passed your suggestion along. Too bad that this has been a known problem for some time now, but is ignored.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scion wrote:Thanks. I passed your suggestion along. Too bad that this has been a known problem for some time now, but is ignored.
I am glad that missionaries are allowed to e-mail. Our son is headed to a country where the mail service is nearly non-existent. Sometimes I wonder how my parents managed when it took 10 days for a letter to go each way.

I know that the problem of e-mail is not being ignored. There are too many mothers in the world who care deeply about their missionaries. [grin]

Those who are working on the problem are not at liberty to share their plans with us, and it always seems to me that things move more slowly than I would wish. But they are moving, nonetheless. Things are happening behind the scenes that will improve the situation when the details are worked out.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”