LDS Leadership Meeting Manager

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

I was thinking about creating a program like this myself (though not in Java - I've been focusing on Adobe Flex lately). One of the problems I ran into is that a couple of our high councilmen don't have computers/email. I had hoped to incorporate email reminders for assignments and activities/meetings, but this is useless without everyone on board. To solve it, I was considering writing a telephony IVR program. I haven't seen any discussion here about telephony - any thoughts? My stake president was not entirely enthusiastic, mostly because he was unsure whether it would be allowed.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

HPaulsen wrote:To solve it, I was considering writing a telephony IVR program. I haven't seen any discussion here about telephony - any thoughts?
This may be a little stretch, but jeffphil has made some interesting posts about using Asterisk and VOIP for various tasks in his rural unit, such as [thread=309]this thread[/thread]. You may ask him if he has some ideas about IVR programs.
epoulin-p40

Voip?

Post by epoulin-p40 »

HPaulsen wrote:To solve it, I was considering writing a telephony IVR program. I haven't seen any discussion here about telephony - any thoughts? My stake president was not entirely enthusiastic, mostly because he was unsure whether it would be allowed.
My experience is that people who don't have computers are not very interested in newer technology solutions to these kind of problems. They are avoiding technology because it intimidates them. I have some reservations about the use of VOIP simply because of the medium. How shall I communicate lots of details over voice? Just seems a better solution would be either 1) fax or 2) print and mail.

BTW: I'm slowly getting back onto development of LDS Meeting Manager, rebasing it on Swing so I can actually finish it without the quirks of SWT. Still in the early stages.
Eric Poulin
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Though with the telephone most people have dealt with a computer in their life (might be annoying but for a reminder that might be ok). Though you might want to check witht he high councilmen and there families before if they would might being called by a computer.
- David
epoulin-p40

Phone call reminder

Post by epoulin-p40 »

thedqs wrote:Though with the telephone most people have dealt with a computer in their life (might be annoying but for a reminder that might be ok). Though you might want to check witht he high councilmen and there families before if they would might being called by a computer.
True, but do we want stake/ward confidential items to be reported over a telephone to whomever answers? At my house its almost always my wife and probably kids when they get older who will be answering the phone. And if they pass it to me, do I hear the message half way through. There may be some ways around this, but it feels like it may be the wrong way to go about reminders. Lets see if anyone else weighs in on the matter.
Eric Poulin
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
hpaulsen

Post by hpaulsen »

epoulin wrote:True, but do we want stake/ward confidential items to be reported over a telephone to whomever answers?
No. Confidential information would be pass-code protected. Something like, "This is an automated reminder for _____. In order to hear this message, please enter your pass-code. If this person is not available, please hang up or dial '1' to reschedule this reminder."
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Ooh and we can install fingerprint scanners that compares the fingerprints to the database transmitting the data over the telephone with RSA 512-bit encrypted link just to make sure! :D
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Ooh and we can install fingerprint scanners that compares the fingerprints to the database transmitting the data over the telephone with RSA 512-bit encrypted link just to make sure! :D
Voice print isn't good enough? It would certainly be far more convenient and a much smaller equipment footprint.

But then do we need this kind of security? I haven't looked at it yet, but what is this system going to transmit for reminders other then "High Council meeting, 7 PM at the Stake Center. 'preciate 'ya brother." ? :D

Hmmmm: 17 posts to go....
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Since we were moving off topic about my 500th post I decided to move that to another [thread=541]thread (500th Post)[/thread] So that this could say on topic about VoIP and telephony.
- David
tcpaki

LDS Meeting Mng

Post by tcpaki »

hey everyone,
i'm also interested in this project (as i have started my own, based on Grails), but am looking forward to registering via sourceforge.
cheers,
tamati

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”