Recording Streaming Events on a Computer

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
nweidler

Recording Streaming Events on a Computer

Post by nweidler »

Hello all,
In our stake we use a webcast to transmit the general session of Stake Conference from our local tabernacle to the Stake Center. We have an assisted living facility in our stake which is unable to meet during the actual event. I understand that under normal circumstances we shouldn't record things like Stake Conferences, however under the approval of our stake president we are trying to figure out a way to record the webcast of Stake Conference for the members in the assisted living facility to view the following week.

Has anyone had any success capturing the stream as it plays on their computer?
Could I just use a browser add-on to record the stream as it happens?

I understand that their are add-ons that work for particular sites. I know VideoGrabby and Video DownloadHelper are supposed to work for YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, and apparently many others, but has anyone had any success recording a webcast?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Recording Streaming Events on a Computer

Post by aebrown »

nweidler wrote:I understand that under normal circumstances we shouldn't record things like Stake Conferences, however under the approval of our stake president we are trying to figure out a way to record the webcast of Stake Conference for the members in the assisted living facility to view the following week.
I doubt that your stake president has the authority to approve something that is expressly forbidden in Handbook 2, Section 21.2.10.

Even if it is technically possible, on LDSTech we can't discuss behavior that is contrary to Church policy.
nweidler

Post by nweidler »

It isn't being held in a chapel, it is being held in a Tabernacle. Is that the same thing?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nweidler wrote:It isn't being held in a chapel, it is being held in a Tabernacle. Is that the same thing?
In principle, it seems to me to be the same, but I suppose it leaves a bit of wiggle room for policy interpretation. So given that, I guess my statement was a bit too categorical.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Would you broadcast the Sunday conference session to the assisted living facility if the members there were able to meet at the same time as the conference session? Perhaps there is a way to work on that, in which case I would see no problem.

Otherwise, the stake president has to justify showing a rebroadcast of the session a week later as if it were broadcasting to other locations in the stake. Or perhaps there is a way to work a delayed viewing that same Sunday. For example, if the 10:00 am session were to be viewed at 1:00 pm that same day (or later in the afternoon or evening), it would be similar to having two sessions of stake conference, and the stake president might sleep better that night.

All this assumes the stake president is the presiding authority. If he is not, he gets no vote in the decision.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Grabbing it as it plays in real-time can be difficult without the right setup. Before attempting this at the stake center, I would contact the folks doing the streaming from the tabernacle. Chances are, they have the means to record it at their end.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”