Need help redoing AV closet

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
harddrive

Re: Need help redoing AV closet

Post by harddrive »

Kfred,

It sounds great, but my question is now that you put that all in, who will be able to understand what you did and who will be able to maintain the equipment or troubleshoot something when it dies? I'm all for the best, but it also needs to be set up for others to be able to support it and repair it. It is like one stake where a guy who know what he was doing, like you, built a great system and as far as I know may have trained someone in it. However, the person who built the system moved out of the area and no one was able to support the system because the knowledge went with him. So the FM group was called in to completely rip out the guys setup and put in a church standard so that there was a knowledge base for the system to be repaired and maintained.

In my stake the systems that were put in follow the church standards so that if there is a problem, the church knows what they put in and how to fix it if necessary. I can be released from my calling today or move out of the area and if necessary the FM group can be called to come in and fix an issue. I did do things because the old analog system was dying and really didn't support what we needed. Now that we have a new digital audio and video system, things have improved. And the FM group knows what is in there so that if there is a problem they fix it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive wrote:who will be able to understand what you did and who will be able to maintain the equipment or troubleshoot something when it dies?
Keep in mind that while you can train someone, knowledge is perishable. If they're not on the team that regularly uses it, they'll forget how. And even if they are part of the team, it's always a possibility that they'll move right around the time the builder moves out. So, you need several people who know how and use it regularly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kfred

Post by kfred »

I was careful to make it simple and created (but am still improving) detailed documentation. The documentation is key. If i get hit by a bus tomorrow, they will still may have to learn about SDI, but thats well within reason I believe.
njgpeck

Post by njgpeck »

kfred, how is your setup working in regards to video lag? I'm looking to improve our system as I was just called as the STS, but not sure where to start. I've read that most IP Cameras make the audio/video lag worse for locations in the same building. For example, we broadcast to a projector in the gym and I've already got about a 3 frame lag from the audio. How about for your setup? What about for the other buildings?

I currently have 3 x sony D70s and a Edirol V8 mixer. I've just figured out how to include the words to the hymns and do text overlay. I've just converted the cameras to PoE but am wondering if upgrading the cameras is the next best step or the mixer. The current suggested cameras are D80s which don't seem to be much of an upgrade over what I've got now. But I've also noticed that those were the recommended camera for at least the last four years, so I'm wondering if something new is coming? It seems Sony is no longer making the D80, even though they are still for sale on store.lds.org.

Thanks for the info on your setup. At least it gives me something to look at.
kfred

Post by kfred »

No video lag in our setup. We're using the PTZ Optucs 20XSDI, and are picking the video from the SDI output, so aren't subject to encoding latencies. Like you, I didnt consider the D80 a significant upgrade. i have 2 projectors in the Gymn in perfect sync with the building audio. I'm using blackmagic SDI dist and HDMI converters. I'm happy to share info with you. Look me up in the CDOL; Lewisville TX stake.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”