HD Video Distribution in New Meetinghouses

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: HD Video Distribution in New Meetinghouses

Postby Mikerowaved » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 am

randysteck wrote:Since SDI equipment is pretty expensive...

Yes, it can be, but if you just need 1080p, SDI converters really aren't that bad. I just picked up a set of BlackMagic Design HDMI to SDI and SDI to HDMI converters for $59 each. They are around $15 cheaper if ordered without the 5V 2A micro-USB power supply (the same one used on many Android phones), if you happen to already have one laying around. A USB cable plugged into a notebook PC would work also.

Just tried them last night by converting an HD camera's 1080i output to SDI and feeding it into the RCA Video-IN jack in the back of our chapel. In the equipment rack, I took the signal from the coax and converted it back to HDMI, then plugged it into one of the building's TV sets on a cart. If you looked close, there was a slight degradation in the video quality, but from 4' away the picture looked great. I'd call it a successful test of something I might use for our next stake conference.

Yes, this is a far cry from HD distribution through the building, but not bad for a few baby steps first.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Hagothsen

Postby Hagothsen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:28 pm

I have gotten better results (empirically speaking) from my Monoprice converters, then my BlackMagic. I also try to keep everything 720P, including and especially source computers and cameras. I use our Decimator Design MD HX to ensure 720P is emanating from the various sources. It's all about latency, and every single conversion or manipulation of any kind introduces a few 10ths of a second more. I haven't been able to completely eliminate latency, but we're getting it further dialed down at each event. I'll probably work to use local audio (as opposed to building audio) in the Primary and RS rooms in the future, that will eliminate any perceived latency. The Young Women's room uses audio from the TV anyway, so perceived latency isn't an issue there. I'm just down to projectors in the gym. SDI projectors are out of the question, so I'll just have to find HDMI projectors to shave 10ths off the conversion from HDMI to VGA. Currently, our projectors in the gym are being fed by the encoded signal (channel 6), that needs a converter to downgrade from SDI to HDMI, then another converter from HDMI to CVBS, then through the encoder which home-runs to the first tap. From the tap to the VCR (channel 6), CVBS to an old Sony Projector. The other end of the tap runs to the other side of the gym, where there's another VCR/Projector. I think by eliminating all those conversion/encoding/decoding steps will drastically improve latency in the gym.

I'll use the Decimator MD HX initially to ensure 720P, then use it as the DA (distribution amplifier) to feed the building. I was using 1080i, but 720P just works smoother.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Hagothsen wrote:I have gotten better results (empirically speaking) from my Monoprice converters, then my BlackMagic.

Interesting. I'll have to give them a try. I like that they're currently on sale too! :)

Hagothsen wrote:I also try to keep everything 720P, including and especially source computers and cameras.

Not much choice for me as the stake owns the Panasonic consumer video camera we use and it only has 1080i output. However, the BlackMagic Intensity Pro capture cards and Wirecast does a good job of converting on-the-fly and has a similar lag (a few frames) compared to receiving a 720p input.

Hagothsen wrote:It's all about latency...

I'm in total agreement here.

Hagothsen wrote:I'm just down to projectors in the gym. SDI projectors are out of the question, so I'll just have to find HDMI projectors to shave 10ths off the conversion from HDMI to VGA. Currently, our projectors in the gym are being fed by the encoded signal (channel 6), that needs a converter to downgrade from SDI to HDMI, then another converter from HDMI to CVBS, then through the encoder which home-runs to the first tap. From the tap to the VCR (channel 6), CVBS to an old Sony Projector. The other end of the tap runs to the other side of the gym, where there's another VCR/Projector. I think by eliminating all those conversion/encoding/decoding steps will drastically improve latency in the gym.

If anything, you can maintain a higher signal quality without all those conversions. Talk to your FM folks about the possibility of trading in your Sony for one of the newer Epson projectors. Wide variety of inputs along with a brighter picture.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Hagothsen

Postby Hagothsen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm

I've asked about getting the newer Epson projectors. Short answer: No. Nearly all of the improvements thus far have come from Stake and personal budgets. The FM group covered the Teradek and electricity for the overhead camera in the back of the chapel. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

Thankfully, I've got a Stake President who shares my affinity for improved production.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”