Family History Center satellite center

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

While looking for information for another thread related to family history center computers I came across this quote from the Policy and Guidelines For Computers in Family History Centers:
Family history center computers should not be removed from the family history center unless they are being disposed of or unless directed by the Area Family History Support Office.
So it looks like using FHC computers outside the center is quite unlikely.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

I wonder if this might be a use for the Church webcasting systems? Might be more money but it would be within the guidelines more I'd think.

Just a thought I had.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:I wonder if this might be a use for the Church webcasting systems?
You lost me. :confused:
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:You lost me. :confused:
Ok. Hang on for the ride...

From what he said initially, they are wanting to do remote training. I think you could use the Church webcast equipment as a conferencing/training aid. I've not played with the webcaster before but it seems plausible. Example: Have people watching remotely with a computer screen fed in as video input and someone talking into a microphone (audio) to teach them.

Of course there is the option that the Church webcasting equipment is not that flexible.

Just one of my random fleeting thoughts. I have one periodically that escapes the can I'm in.
Lancaster CA.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

avskip wrote:Ok. Hang on for the ride...

From what he said initially, they are wanting to do remote training. I think you could use the Church webcast equipment as a conferencing/training aid. I've not played with the webcaster before but it seems plausible. Example: Have people watching remotely with a computer screen fed in as video input and someone talking into a microphone (audio) to teach them.

Of course there is the option that the Church webcasting equipment is not that flexible.

Just one of my random fleeting thoughts. I have one periodically that escapes the can I'm in.
I was lost also but decided not to show my ignorance. I now see what you were thinking about. After looking at KenRitchins' original post I don't think he was talking about doing remote training. He was interested in moving FHC computers to locations in other buildings where the people are rather than the people coming to where the computers are located. The training he was referencing would be hands on use of the computers to do family history work - the instructor looking over the shoulder kind of training while the student uses the internet.

Your idea of using the meetinghouse webcast equipment for remote training and instruction is entirely within the capabilities of the program.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:The training he was referencing would be hands on use of the computers to do family history work - the instructor looking over the shoulder kind of training while the student uses the internet.
I also don't think it was just training but even using the computers. We have to remember that computers aren't as ubiquitous as telephones and TV sets. Not every home has one.

jdlessley wrote:Your idea of using the meetinghouse webcast equipment for remote training and instruction is entirely within the capabilities of the program.
The idea has merit, but from what I've seen reported so far, does it have any webconferencing capability? I'd think the two way dialog would be necessary for effective training. Otherwise you might as well video the session and play it back.

The answer to this may be refurbished computers. The sites I've seen them, they're dirt cheap.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

RussellHltn wrote:I also don't think it was just training but even using the computers. We have to remember that computers aren't as ubiquitous as telephones and TV sets. Not every home has one.

The idea has merit, but from what I've seen reported so far, does it have any webconferencing capability? I'd think the two way dialog would be necessary for effective training. Otherwise you might as well video the session and play it back.

The answer to this may be refurbished computers. The sites I've seen them, they're dirt cheap.
I have noticed some pretty low prices for the Dell Optiplex GX270 and 280 lately. That could be a better option overall!
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

avskip wrote:I have noticed some pretty low prices for the Dell Optiplex GX270 and 280 lately. That could be a better option overall!
Indeed! The problem for me is the shipping costs. They almost rival the cost of the computer. :(

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:The idea has merit, but from what I've seen reported so far, does it have any webconferencing capability? I'd think the two way dialog would be necessary for effective training. Otherwise you might as well video the session and play it back.
The conferencing part is not a capability of meetinghouse webcast. But by using any of the audio conferencing systems available you could use those for the two way dialog.

If the training was only for one remote site the meetinghouse webcast could be used for the video going out and a separate telephone connection for the audio communications. This is not elegant but it would work.
JD Lessley
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:The idea has merit, but from what I've seen reported so far, does it have any webconferencing capability? I'd think the two way dialog would be necessary for effective training. Otherwise you might as well video the session and play it back.

The Meetinghouse Webcast equipment doesn't have webconferencing capability, but there is an article on clerk.lds.org titled LDS Web Conferencing - Local Units that provides some helpful information on webconferencing options (assuming all the sites involved have Internet connections).
jdlessley wrote:The conferencing part is not a capability of meetinghouse webcast. But by using any of the audio conferencing systems available you could use those for the two way dialog.

For training, a webconference would probably be superior to audio conferencing, since the trainer can show actual steps being performed with the software.

Return to “Family History Centers”