FamilySearch Indexing in Windows 8

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
rich_jones_1999

FamilySearch Indexing in Windows 8

Post by rich_jones_1999 »

Is anybody else having trouble running FamilySearch Indexing on a Windows 8 PC?

I am running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, and FamilySearch Indexing grinds along EXTREMELY slowly, if at all.

As a work-around I have installed an XP VM and a Linux VM under VirtualBox on the Windows 8 PC, and Indexing runs much better on either of them, though not as fast as the Windows 7 PC in my family room. The WIndows 7 PC which runs fine, is 64 bit as well and a lower spec machine than the one running Windows 8.

Any ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: FamilySearch Indexing in Windows 8

Post by russellhltn »

Does FS Indexing still use Java? If so, then you might want to compare the version of Java installed between the Win7 and Win8 box - 32 bit only or 64 bit. That might make a difference in performance.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rich_jones_1999

Thanks, I appreciate the response.
I didn't have Java installed previously. I didn't have any programs that required it. I just let the installer install whichever version it wanted when FS Indexing runs through its installation.
I've noticed recently, if I Google the issue, posts from other users about the same problem.
Is this the appropriate forum to bring up the issue, or should I have posted in a different place?
I wasn't successful finding a tech support site for the program, only places to get help with performing the indexing itself.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

forums.familysearch.org would be a good place to ask. No one from FamilySearch is active here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rich_jones_1999

Thanks for the reply. I'll give the Family Search forums a shot.
Phorz

Post by Phorz »

My mom was having this same issue with Windows 8.1 I updated Java to the latest version (Version 7 update 51) and she stopped having problems for now. Hopefully this is the permanent fix, hope this helps future searchers.
rich_jones_1999

Thanks for the reply. I've been running Indexing in a VM running XP and that has run fine. I'll have to try it again directly under Windows 8.1 with the latest Java version. I'll post how it goes.
mercedesbiglia

Post by mercedesbiglia »

Hola! Actualicé Java, tengo windows 10 64bits - No puedo ejecutar el programa, solo lo puedo ejecutar en otra computadora que tengo XP. Has podido con tu windows 8?
Gracias y saludos desde Argentina.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”