Lost notes

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

mtaylor36

Lost notes

Post by mtaylor36 »

I spent 20 hours writing an essay on the making of the Bible. Once I copied it to my New Testament Title Page, I didn't bother to save it on my PC. Big mistake because it is gone. Completely gone! As are my notes from John (which I have to teach this upcoming Sunday). It looks like everything through Thursday and part of Friday is there. End of Friday, all of Saturday, and all of Sunday is gone. And it's keeping what I enter today. Is there any way for someone to retrieve that information for me (please, please, please - yes, I'm begging). Also, how do I keep this from happening in the future. Is there a character limit in Notes?

Thanks to anyone who can really help me. GospelLibrary-Win has been useless. (Maybe some levity in this highly frustrating situation: GospelLibrary-Win told me to go to my Family History Library for help. I knew FHL couldn't help, but I went in good faith. When I got there, the older women were convinced that the computers all needed to be shut down for 15 minutes because they "need to take a nap." My understanding is that the Church hires a 3rd party to manage GL. I think we need to find another company to hire.)

Mary
ToManyLetters

Re: Lost notes

Post by ToManyLetters »

GospelLibrary-Win has been useless.
I don't know who you've been talking to, as your story isn't familiar and I reply to email sent in to our feedback. I certainly didn't tell you to go to a Family History Center and wouldn't have anyway.
My understanding is that the Church hires a 3rd party to manage GL. I think we need to find another company to hire.
Your understanding is completely and totally false. Gospel Library for Android and Gospel Library for iOS are developed by Church employees. Gospel Library for Windows is developed by members of the Church who give of their free time as volunteers to develop Gospel Library for an operating system that would otherwise be entirely neglected. Even now, we're developing a major update and testing it in alpha as Gospel Library Preview. We're a small team with limited time and other resources, but we do everything we can.
Is there a character limit in Notes?
Yes, though I can't recall what it is offhand. I do know that the limit is quite high, however. That said, as you say you'd written an essay, it's entirely possible you hit it. It's a limitation of the annotations web service used by the Church to keep all of the versions of Gospel Library syncing.
Is there any way for someone to retrieve that information for me (please, please, please - yes, I'm begging).
Most likely not. If they've disappeared on you, something screwy has happened. Likely, you hit the max character limit and the annotations web service rejected the note.
Also, how do I keep this from happening in the future.
Barring simply constantly hitting the character limit for notes, you may be encountering an issue in Windows that some of our users have encountered. Basically, the Windows Credential Manager ends up storing bad (typically old) user name and password combos for the app and fails to update them when the app does. If you consistently have issues with syncing, you might consider opening the Credentials Manager (type Credentials Manager into Windows search), then find "LDS Credentials" and remove the entry/ies from the vault. Once you've done this, Gospel Library for Windows will need you to sign back in at Settings > LDS Account.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
mtaylor36

Post by mtaylor36 »

Thank you for responding.

One of the entries that went missing was 3210 characters. I assume notes can hold more than that?

Is there a backup of Notes? I closed the window and synced a number of times while I was typing to save the information. Is there any way to recover that? The one I most need is on the New Testament Title Page.

I deleted the only LDS Credentials account as instructed. When I opened the Beta app, it did not make me sign in again, but under LDS Account, there is no sign in information. When I try to sync, nothing happens. When I try to sign out, I get this error message: "Are you sure you want to signout? You have unsynced annotations which will be lost." Now what?

Also, does it matter whether I use Beta or the non-Beta version?

Thank you.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The limit for number of characters in a note is 20,000. Android Gospel Library truncates notes to a maximum of 20,000 characters when it saves, to prevent sync errors. iOS Gospel Library doesn't allow you to type or paste more than 20,000 characters in a note. I'm not sure how Windows Gospel Library handles long notes.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mtaylor36

Post by mtaylor36 »

Thank you for that! There's no way it was 20,000 characters, so the problem, unfortunately, has to be something else.

Do you happen to have answers for the other questions, especially about LDS Credentials?

MT
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mtaylor36 wrote:Do you happen to have answers for the other questions, especially about LDS Credentials?
I don't know much about LDS Credentials or authentication in the Windows app – sorry! You could try contacting the developers by sending feedback under Settings > About.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”