Text Blurry in Snapped View

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

commandersouth

Text Blurry in Snapped View

Post by commandersouth »

I just got the app on my windows machine today and noticed if I resize the window, the text is fine, but if I use snap mode (in both tablet and normal view), the text is blurry (just out of focus enough to notice the issue).

Is there anything I can do about this (I have tried changing the font and the text size).

Thanks!
Pringles1

Re: Text Blurry in Snapped View

Post by Pringles1 »

If you have version 1803 for Windows 10, you can try to enable auto scaling to fix blurry apps. Go to Settings, Display, Advanced scaling settings, then toggle "let windows try to fix apps so they are not blurry. Hopes this helps!
commandersouth

Post by commandersouth »

Just tried that, to no avail unfortunately...
bradbodily

Post by bradbodily »

I've noticed similar behavior.

Maximized or in tablet mode, the text is not crisp. Windowed (but not maximized) the text is not crisp. It appears to be dependent to the display scale. Set to 100%, 175%, or 200%, the text is crisp even maximized. Set to 125%, 150%, the text is blurry when maximized. Perhaps some pixel-alignment issue.

For reference, the display I'm observing this on is 1800x1200.
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

I'm not sure what causes the blurriness on certain machines at certain scales. There isn't any code in the Gospel Library app to specifically address text crispness or scaling. As a UWP app, it simply inherits the foundational platform provided by Microsoft. That said, it is possible that the specific, custom fonts that the Church uses may not have perfect rendering at certain resolutions. You may want to experiment with overriding the custom Church fonts in the content with System selectable fonts in the app to see if there is a difference.
bradbodily

Post by bradbodily »

Just by way of feedback, changing the font doesn't seem to change the behavior at all. Also, if it's related, I'll note that Windows pops up a notification asking if I would like it to fix "blurry apps," but enabled this and restarting Gospel Library does not seem to improve it, either.

It's certainly not unusable, just noticeably different than other apps.
spencerto
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by spencerto »

I'm wondering if they introduced improvements in later versions of the Windows UWP platform. Currently, Gospel Library supports all the way back to Windows 10 November Update (Nov 2015?) Build 10586 which means it targets older API's and older versions of the WebView control. We do this so that we don't leave many users behind who have yet to update to later versions of Windows 10. If we updated our target to newer versions of Windows 10 would we benefit by having access to updated API's and newer WebView control updates which may support sharper text? I don't really know. It would be interesting to try. @bradbodily, if you would send an email to GospelLibrary-Win@ChurchOfJesusChrist.org and reference this thread and I might try creating a build that targets a newer version to see if it makes a difference.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

spencerto wrote:Currently, Gospel Library supports all the way back to Windows 10 November Update (Nov 2015?) Build 10586 which means it targets older API's and older versions of the WebView control. We do this so that we don't leave many users behind who have yet to update to later versions of Windows 10.
Support for that version expired in January 2018.

Probably time to step up to 1703 as minimum. (1607 is still supported, but only for the Enterprise Long-Term Support Branch.) Off hand, I'm not aware of any issues preventing someone on 1511 from upgrading to something supported. At least, there's no licensing issues. I suppose there might be hardware issues with some models.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”