Missing Manuals

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

micampbe37

Missing Manuals

Post by micampbe37 »

Windows 8 is missing the Gospel Doctrine Old Testament and New Testament manuals.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missing Manuals

Post by russellhltn »

Most likely that's because the current version of GL for Windows doesn't support Win8. And an older version may go to an older content library which doesn't get updated as quickly - if at all.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
micampbe37

Post by micampbe37 »

I had installed all of the Sunday School manuals before but they were apparently removed with the last update.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

The legacy version of Gospel Library for Windows (version 2.x) hasn't seen an update since July and no further updates are planned. This version of the app uses an older content source that is no longer supported by the Church.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
jbeers53

Post by jbeers53 »

If I read the last post by by ToManyLetters » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:21 am, if we are still running Windows 8.1, we can kiss Gospel Library goodbye? Is that correct?

Is this another push forced on us by Microsoft to force us into Windows 10. I would hope the Church is truly better than that.

If that is not the case, what are the options? Will the Windows 10 update run, properly, in Windows 8.1?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

jbeers53 wrote: ...
Is this another push forced on us by Microsoft to force us into Windows 10. I would hope the Church is truly better than that.
Let us not be casting aspersions of inappropriate collusion. The January 6 post by russellhltn mentioned a very plausible reason for the lack of support for Windows 8.1. Sorry, but I don't have answers to the questions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's not Microsoft. It's a decision made by the all-volunteer developer team to re-write GL in a new language that wasn't compatible with Win8. I'm not sure of all the reasons, but I believe it was forward-looking to get it to run on most mobile devices. The church has shown zero interest in making GL run on a "desktop" environment. They've always been focused on the mobile devices. The only reason it runs on a desktop is because Microsoft uses the same OS for both. GL has never run on Win7.

I suspect one of the reasons that Win8 compatibility was sacrificed was that Microsoft had a long-running program of free a upgrade from Win8 to Win10. Given that Win8 was pretty universally hated, they didn't expect that many Win8 users to remain.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BowmanDH

Post by BowmanDH »

Actually the Church changed the platform they used to publish new content. All Gospel Library applications had to be updated to run the new content. All versions of Gospel Library on all platforms have a version of the OS that is too old for the new version of the app consuming new content. For Windows users that happens to be Windows 10.
bgille

Post by bgille »

I bought a Dell laptop from Dell less than a year ago, and it is not compatible with Windows 10. I bought it specifically for use at church as I'm the Ward Clerk. I now find that Gospel Library, that has worked well so far, will not get the new manuals for 2018. Imagine how frustrating that is. I'm a programmer by profession, and if we abandoned users of old operating systems so easily, I'd soon be out of a job.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bgille wrote:I bought a Dell laptop from Dell less than a year ago, and it is not compatible with Windows 10.
That's pretty unusual. The only machine I've seen that can't be upgraded to Win10 is a netbook I bought back before Win8. It has some kind of oddball video chip and so there's no drivers for it.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”