System.Exception Error in Windows 10

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

willowbecker

Re: System.Exception Error in Windows 10

Post by willowbecker »

Thank you all! For whatever reason, it's working. I'm not sure how you got it functioning, but the error has corrected itself. Thank you again!
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

russellhltn wrote:
lmcowdell wrote:I have an HP Stream 7 running Win10. I keep getting an "Exception of type 'System Exception' was thrown" error
I've been able to duplicate it - same device.

Note that the HP Stream 7 is a very underpowered device. I think I paid $90 two years ago. It did upgrade to Win10, but I think at first there may have been some compatibility issues. Perhaps the display (1280 x 800). Or the magnification that seems to be turned on (125%)
I have a Stream 7 myself, but cannot reproduce the issue.
And just since then my Gospel Library is not working any more and any attempt of reinstall throws error code 0x80070490.
When I try the Beta version, it ends up the same.
This isn't a problem with the app, but with the Windows Store (and potentially your installation of Windows). You'll need to get in contact with Microsoft Support to fix this issue.
Thank you all! For whatever reason, it's working. I'm not sure how you got it functioning, but the error has corrected itself. Thank you again!
I'm glad it's working for you, but we haven't changed anything on our end. I hope it continues to work well for you!
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ToManyLetters wrote:I have a Stream 7 myself, but cannot reproduce the issue.
I was able to reproduce - but it went away after rebooting and changing back to a local account. (I can't be sure which one did it.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

I was able to reproduce - but it went away after rebooting and changing back to a local account. (I can't be sure which one did it.)
I'm amazed the app is working at all with a local account. The app depends on the Microsoft Account to sync certain data, like Collections.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ToManyLetters wrote:The app depends on the Microsoft Account to sync certain data, like Collections.
Why does the app need access to my Microsoft account to do that?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

Why does the app need access to my Microsoft account to do that?
Because the LDS.org annotations service doesn't provide a way for us to do it and we wanted to make it possible, at least for Windows users, to have their collections carry across their different Windows devices. We chose to implement the syncing using a user's Microsoft Account (roaming app data). If you login to Gospel Library on your desktop PC, pretty up your collections how you like them, then login to, let's say a Surface Pro 4 using the same Microsoft Account and LDS Account data, the app will sync those collections to the Surface Pro 4 for you. If you make a change to those collections on the Surface Pro 4, they will similarly be reflected on your desktop PC the next time you open the app. We also sync history this way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ToManyLetters wrote:roaming app data
Ah, OK. It makes sense when you put it in those terms. I'm used to roaming profiles at a business level. I hadn't thought about them in a home setting.

stevecline

Post by stevecline »

I just got the System,Exception error on first launch in Window 10 1607, logged in to my MS account, but it came up without error on relaunch
stevecline

Post by stevecline »

Same behavior on another machine with Win10 1607, logged in to a local account - error on first launch, OK on second launch
tdbeezy

Post by tdbeezy »

I just started getting this error.
When I click on the Windows 10 Gospel Library icon, it starts to load then a box pops up and says:

"Exception of type 'System Exception' was thrown" with a <Close> button in the bottom right cornor.

When I click on <Close>, it continues to load annotations for awhile, then says "Loading Books" and goes no further.

I used the Gospel App with no problems about three weeks ago, so something has changed since then.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the same result.

I am using Windows 10 Pro Edition

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”