Speech to text technology (direct audio feed)?

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
toddjconklin

Speech to text technology (direct audio feed)?

Post by toddjconklin »

Hey all,

We have a sister in our ward who is hearing impared - as in stone deaf. Hearing aids etc do not help. She has asked if anyone can translate via sign language but nobody knows how, so she's resigned to lip reading and only catches about 30% of what's said.

So I was thinking if we could have some kind of speech to text technology that can translate what is said from the pulpit into text that she can read on a laptop or other device in real time. Im pretty sure Dragon Dictation app on smartphone and a couple others do this but the trouble is, by the time the audio goes through the speakers, bounces around the terrible accoustics of the chapel and then gets picked up by the phone speaker, it can't translate anything - it's designed for very clear audio input by the user speaking directly into the phone speaker.

Is anyone aware of some kind of software that is designed specifically for my purpose? Like if we are able to somehow run an "audio out" cable from the amp directly into the laptop, and then some kind of software that translates direct from the audio in? We could then mirror the laptop screen (somehow) to a device she could hold.

Let me know if you think of how this could happen - or if I'm going about this the hard way and there's already something in place for this?

Cheers
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Speech to text technology (direct audio feed)?

Post by russellhltn »

toddjconklin wrote:if we are able to somehow run an "audio out" cable from the amp directly into the laptop,
Many chapels have a audio out jack by the pulpit, or if they're an older chapel with the old clerk desk, near there. It may be labeled "Recording".

There's also the assistive hearing receivers, but it might be a little tricky getting the receiver output to match the laptop input.

There's also a prior thread that had a number of ideas batted about.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

As a non-technology option, I have seen members who can sign receive stake assignments to attend other wards to sign their meetings for ward members who are deaf. Perhaps there is someone else close enough in your stake to assist. I have also seen members learn to sign in order to serve deaf members of their own ward/branch (though this would take some time for someone to become proficient).
toddjconklin

Post by toddjconklin »

Thanks for your comments brethren. We'll investigate both those options...

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”