New Wireless mics are 2.4 Ghz

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
kreeve

New Wireless mics are 2.4 Ghz

Post by kreeve »

The new wireless mics the FM ground dropped off are 2.4GHz. Not sure how the wireless internet and mics will get along, and who will interfere with who.
craiggsmith

Re: New Wireless mics are 2.4 Ghz

Post by craiggsmith »

Haven't gotten ours yet but am worried about that too. Might be a good reason to upgrade our access points to the 5 GHz Meraki units.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Assuming you are referring to the Meraki MR33’s, they are dual band 2.4 and 5Ghz. Therefore you will still have a 2.4Ghz source of possible interference?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hopefully the mics can be set to a channel different than the APs. However, since the APs select their own channel, it should be checked before each use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Post by danpass »

craiggsmith wrote:Haven't gotten ours yet...
Is everyone getting wireless mics?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:Is everyone getting wireless mics?
I can't imagine this being church-wide. Perhaps within a FM group at best.

But if you ask for one....
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

Our FM group received notice that the FCC had auctioned off the spectrum our current Audio-Technica mics are using. These are the same standard Audio-Technica mics the LDS church supplies to Stakes.

So I was totally surprised to see that the replacements they are buying are 2.4 GHz ones. Because we are a large double chapel YSA building, we have 8 Access points (CISCO) and around noon time 400 - 600 in the building at one time. That is a lot of RF flying around from smartphones on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Stake Conference the week after General Conference with a visiting authority who has requested wireless mics. (They all do now.) 600+ in our adult session, probably 3 - 4 wireless mics. It will be an interesting test.

I would say the wireless mics are in use 2 times a month on Sundays. They are especially popular with 5th Sunday lessons and ward conferences.

Hopefully Church HQ/AV/IT has thought this through?

Kevin
WA6IJD

Post by WA6IJD »

Are the new mics WFM or Spread Spectrum?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kreeve wrote:Our FM group received notice that the FCC had auctioned off the spectrum our current Audio-Technica mics are using. These are the same standard Audio-Technica mics the LDS church supplies to Stakes.
I had a chance to dig into this. Right now, we're in a transition time where the mics may or may not be legal depending on if there's a wireless carrier using those frequencies in your area. But at some channels will become illegal after July 13, 2020

Specifically, the banned frequencies are:
  • 617 - 652 MHz
  • 663 - 698 MHz
  • 698 - 806 MHz (previously banned)
Long term, the following will be legal:
  • TV channels 2-36 (about 54 - 608 MHz)
  • 614-616 MHz
  • 653-657 MHz for licensed use
  • 657-663 MHz for unlicensed use
On the older Audio-Technica mics, channel 1 (656.125 MHz) falls into 600MHz the "for licensed use" band. Channels 2-4 (659.375, 660.000, and 662.125) fall within the "for unlicensed use". Channels 5 (665.125 MHz) and up fall within the 663 - 698 MHz prohibited area. As far as power output, the units run 12mW, well below the 20mW limit for that band. I'm not sure of the bandwidth, but assuming broadcast band wide-band FM of 0.2MHz, it doesn't change the results above.

That said, I wouldn't be the least surprised but what the church wants all of these mics returned. I sure wouldn't want a bunch of these mics in the hands of people who may not follow instructions. ;)

There's also some indication (according the B&H Photo catalog) that some manufacturers are giving credits toward new mics for turning in old "illegal" mics.

Regulatory Source: FCC: Operation of Wireless Microphones

Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

I’m sure we will be using our AudioTechs until such time as someone gets fined, or someone’s cell phone conversation hijacks audio in the chapel. No sooner.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”