Need audio in largest portion of the cultural hall ONLY.

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
woomommegan

Need audio in largest portion of the cultural hall ONLY.

Post by woomommegan »

I am not an audio guru, so hopefully I can explain this correctly. We'd like to have a microphone in the Main area of the cultural hall ONLY (see below), but keep both of the folding doors closed. Is this possible? The only way we've been able to get sound to work in the main area of the cultural hall is to crack the folding door (2) open to the sensor. Is there another way to do this? Thanks in advance!

Here is our cultural hall setup (no stage):

Main area of Cultural Hall

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^folding door (2)
Power/Aux input box
Small area of cultural hall
------------------------------------------------------
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Need audio in largest portion of the cultural hall ONLY.

Post by lajackson »

woomommegan wrote:Is there another way to do this?

Chapel
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^folding door (1)

Main area of Cultural Hall

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^folding door (2)

Power/Aux input box
Small area of cultural hall
Nope. You are doing it the only way you can with the way the new system is designed.

Sound from the chapel goes as far into the cultural hall as you have doors opened.
Sound from the cultural hall begins behind folding door 2 and moves into the rest of the cultural hall when you open that folding door.

It seems odd, and I do not fully understand it, but that is the way the system is designed. If you need sound in the main part of the cultural hall, you are out of luck if you try to have another small group in the small part of the cultural hall, because they get the sound, too. That's where it originates.
seanhyte

Post by seanhyte »

This video might also help your understanding the Audio system:

http://broadcast.lds.org/ICS/techtalk/2013-02-01.html

Go to 23:30 of the video for the Audio section.

And more info here:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... o?lang=eng

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From a design standpoint, it seems like it should be possible to have the sound originate from the main area and expand into the small area if the door is opened. That's not something that can be changed at the local level, but something to talk with FM about. Probably in conjunction with a building renovation in the area. I don't think it would take any addition equipment, but it would require moving jacks, the control box and a bit of rewiring/programming.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rsidwell

Post by rsidwell »

The sensor on the last folding door in our meetinghouse broke (I think a basketball was responsible). Rather than fix it, our FM group just bypassed it, so sound is in both areas whether the door is open or not. If that would meet your needs, it should be very easy for FM to configure that. (I like russellhltn's suggestion to move the origination to the main area, but that would be more involved and possibly deemed "non-standard", so FM may be reluctant to do that. Either way, a conversation with FM is in order. Work with your stake PFR if that isn't you.)
jirp

Post by jirp »

The optic gate is just a switch. It should be possible to install a manual switch in parallel with it to allow bypassing the gate. Run some wires and install the switch somewhere. The quick dirty answer might require having sound in the overflow though. Otherwise 2 switches might need to be bypassed by manual switches. Cost should be minimal. Talk to FM.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”