Audio-Technica ATW2000

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
craiggsmith

Re: Audio-Technica ATW2000

Post by craiggsmith »

farwest wrote:Here's the crazy thing the whole rostrum was redone and they only put in one XlR jack. The people who did it said that was what the plans called for in the remodel job.
Bummer, typical.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

farwest wrote:Here's the crazy thing the whole rostrum was redone and they only put in one XlR jack. The people who did it said that was what the plans called for in the remodel job. I'll check with FM and see if the have a mixer. Thanks for all the input it is appreciated.
The reason is, your typical chapel sound system only has 4 channels. With the organ, pulpit mic, and sacrament table mic, that leaves only one XLR jack available for general use. Granted, some buildings (like mine) have two XLR jacks available, but I found through trial-and-error that one is tied in parallel with one of the other inputs causing the audio to drop off somewhat if both are used at the same time.

If you can't dig up a suitable mixer, you can probably run 4 of the wireless mics at the same time by locating the 3 other jacks and utilize some helpers to quick-change them over to your receivers after the opening song/prayer. :)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The reason is that nobody should be expected to have 6 wireless MIC's in a chapel. I would so seriously push back on this until that Visiting GA arranges for a mixer, and a sound engineer to run it from headquarters to fly out/drive out.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Mikerowaved wrote:The reason is, your typical chapel sound system only has 4 channels. With the organ, pulpit mic, and sacrament table mic, that leaves only one XLR jack available for general use. Granted, some buildings (like mine) have two XLR jacks available, but I found through trial-and-error that one is tied in parallel with one of the other inputs causing the audio to drop off somewhat if both are used at the same time.

If you can't dig up a suitable mixer, you can probably run 4 of the wireless mics at the same time by locating the 3 other jacks and utilize some helpers to quick-change them over to your receivers after the opening song/prayer. :)
Duh, forgot about that. Except I have never seen the organ tied into the sound system (wish it were). I usually see the pulpit mic, sacrament mic, and 2 other jacks. The sacrament mic could be commandeered ahead of time; only the pulpit mic would need a quick change.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

johnshaw wrote:The reason is that nobody should be expected to have 6 wireless MIC's in a chapel. I would so seriously push back on this until that Visiting GA arranges for a mixer, and a sound engineer to run it from headquarters to fly out/drive out.
I am happy to see technology being used more, but as is typical the left and right hands aren't coordinated and they ask for things we don't have.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I'm happy that technology is being used as well, but when it comes to budget money - I'm a stickler. It's the Church that has decided on the standard meetinghouse plan, it is the church that has created the policy around what 'technology' equipment that a stake can use their own budget for, etc... If the Church wanted to be able to support that many microphones, they should provide that many, or have the FM group own that many to borrow along with a mixer.

In my last stake we had an FM that did just that, he had 4 mics that could be borrowed, and he asked me to come help him understand how to set them up and work with them, etc... We went to a meetinghouse and he quickly figured out his own dilemma (I purposely played along like I didn't know the xlr input problem he was going to encounter). I went to my car, got my audio mixer and showed him how they could all be setup. So he purchased a simple mixer and we were in business.

This is also where I came to understand the problem. He (FM) asked me to help him setup for a Mission President seminar held in our area. Several GA's were there and they traveled with a 'Technology Kit' - it had an appletv, projector, wireless AP, and a mixer to get the appletv sound into the hotel conference room sound system, though we didn't use it. The conference room had the ability to use 8 microphones and included them as part of the conference room fees (though it was a per-item price) so the FM was trying to use his microphones as well. Anyway... it seems that at times they do travel with a technology kit, but only if they don't use a local church building for their meetings.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”