Crab Box, Time for a redesign-overhaul. Audio volume issues

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Crab Box, Time for a redesign-overhaul. Audio volume issues

Postby russellhltn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:02 am

svreed wrote:I gound the crab to be overly cumbersome and replaced them with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M ... UTF8&psc=1

It works great.

For basic stuff that members want, like iPods and laptops, that looks good. But falls short for things like DVD players.

richphillips wrote:Thanks for posting a response. I ended up buying the following which has an XLR interface and works really well as a crab box replacement. It does not have a telephone interface.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-7677

Nice, but it needs a collection of cables attached to it so they don't walk off.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

richphillips

Postby richphillips » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:34 pm

I have been salvaging the grey or black case of the crab box and putting my replacement inside....retaining the old cables if they check good.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:35 pm

richphillips wrote:I have been salvaging the grey or black case of the crab box and putting my replacement inside

I have yet to have one die. The gray ones aren't that great, but the black ones are fine.

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

kreeve

Postby kreeve » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:19 pm

The one I bought
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +PResenter

Rolls AV Presenter. It has a 1/8 inch mini audio in and RCA jacks in. It has a XLR out, and two volume controls for left and right. It takes care of the stereo to mono for you.

I chose this one because it was something I was familiar with. The Crab box needs to be updated or eliminated.

ecashin

Postby ecashin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:33 pm

I am having a little bit different problem with the Crab (I think). The audio cuts out for several seconds. Has happened during multiple webcasts and with trying to mic a music program through a separate mixer. Any thoughts?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:05 pm

Not imposable, but not likely unless it's a bad connector or cable. I'd check to see if it's a problem with that input.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”