Crab Box, Time for a redesign-overhaul. Audio volume issues

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Crab Box, Time for a redesign-overhaul. Audio volume issues

Post by russellhltn »

svreed wrote:I gound the crab to be overly cumbersome and replaced them with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M ... UTF8&psc=1

It works great.
For basic stuff that members want, like iPods and laptops, that looks good. But falls short for things like DVD players.

richphillips wrote:Thanks for posting a response. I ended up buying the following which has an XLR interface and works really well as a crab box replacement. It does not have a telephone interface.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-7677
Nice, but it needs a collection of cables attached to it so they don't walk off.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RichPhillips

Post by RichPhillips »

I have been salvaging the grey or black case of the crab box and putting my replacement inside....retaining the old cables if they check good.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

richphillips wrote:I have been salvaging the grey or black case of the crab box and putting my replacement inside
I have yet to have one die. The gray ones aren't that great, but the black ones are fine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kreeve

Post by kreeve »

The one I bought
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +PResenter

Rolls AV Presenter. It has a 1/8 inch mini audio in and RCA jacks in. It has a XLR out, and two volume controls for left and right. It takes care of the stereo to mono for you.

I chose this one because it was something I was familiar with. The Crab box needs to be updated or eliminated.
ecashin

Post by ecashin »

I am having a little bit different problem with the Crab (I think). The audio cuts out for several seconds. Has happened during multiple webcasts and with trying to mic a music program through a separate mixer. Any thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not imposable, but not likely unless it's a bad connector or cable. I'd check to see if it's a problem with that input.

StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

I'd like to add, a note of caution. It is squarely within the purview of the FM group to provide a "Crab Box" or equivalent for each meetinghouse. One of the benefits to the wards and stakes of allowing them to do so, is that they are responsible for the care and maintenance of that equipment. If you or the ward, stake buy the equipment, that may be a violation of the policies in place, but also, places the burden of care and maintenance of that equipment on the purchasing individual/organization.
If you have not already, contact the FM about your needs/wants. Also be patient, and try to be clear about what the problem is. Most FMs are not technical, and will need a clear understanding in order to explain it to whomever they assign repairs/troubleshooting too.

Also, In the newest systems (last 10 years or so) the need for a crab box should be minimal as most rooms with systems include provisions to connect external (stereo mini, and/or RCA) source devices.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”