MLS / LUWS / LDS.ORG Interactivity

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jonejam2

MLS / LUWS / LDS.ORG Interactivity

Post by jonejam2 »

Can anyone explain what the interactiveness is between MLS and LUWS/LDS.ORG.

For example: My Bishop has an account in MLS and a password. Does that automatically create an account for him on LUWS/LDS.ORG?

I would like to consolidate all of his accounts so that he has a SINGLE username and whatever password he chooses. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Jim Jones
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jonejam2 wrote:For example: My Bishop has an account in MLS and a password. Does that automatically create an account for him on LUWS/LDS.ORG?

No. MLS is a desktop application that does not connect to the Internet for login. So it has to have a separate set of user names and passwords. The bishop could choose to use the same username and password for MLS as he uses for his LDS Account. Then he would be pretty close to a single login, but password maintenance would have to be done separately.
jonejam2 wrote:I would like to consolidate all of his accounts so that he has a SINGLE username and whatever password he chooses. Any thoughts?
I think the Church has consolidated almost all of its online logins to use LDS Account, so we're pretty close. The biggest exception I know of is the new.ldsmail.net account, but that requires a unit login (not a personal login), so it makes sense that it would be different.

But there is no action required on your part to "consolidate all of his accounts" -- since all those online Church systems use the single LDS Account login, the job is already done.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonejam2

Post by jonejam2 »

Thank you again. I am a new clerk so maybe I missed something. Who has an lds mail account under new.ldsmail.net? Is my Bishop supposed to have this?

We are in danger of overloading the number of accounts. I'm usually pretty tech savvy and I have trouble keeping track of all the accounts I have (personal and calling related). My Bishop is not as tech savvy and seems to really struggle with this.

Jim Jones
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jonejam2 wrote:Thank you again. I am a new clerk so maybe I missed something. Who has an lds mail account under new.ldsmail.net? Is my Bishop supposed to have this?

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have mentioned that one, since it is only for stakes and a few other entities -- not wards and branches. So ignore that one.
jonejam2 wrote:We are in danger of overloading the number of accounts. I'm usually pretty tech savvy and I have trouble keeping track of all the accounts I have (personal and calling related). My Bishop is not as tech savvy and seems to really struggle with this.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding your concern about overloading accounts. For Church purposes, the bishop should need exactly two accounts -- an MLS account for the desktop application, and an LDS Account for every Church website. And he can choose to use the same username and password for MLS as he has for LDS Account, so it should be pretty easy.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonejam2

Post by jonejam2 »

Thanks for the info. Glad I don't need to help him set up ANOTHER account (church email). It's not too overwhelming when you have to sign into the system several times.

Tonight, I finally helped my Bishop get signed into LDS.ORG. Then had to click on leader & clerk resources and it made him sign in again. (In the future we will sign into lds.org/leader and skip that first step) then he went into Missionary Online Recommendation System and he had to sign in again.

When he was having trouble remembering his username and password for lds.org he had to log into his personal email several times to get the username and later the password from an email the church sent him to recover them. Then come to find out he and his wife used the same email address to set up their accounts so the church sent an email with 2 user names in it - which to choose?

Yes, it becomes daunting for someone who is not very good with technology.

Once it IS set up and running smootly - then you can relax. But, for a new Bishop and his even newer ward clerk it's a handful. I have little trouble making the system work - its helping the Bishop make it work FOR HIM that is tough! :)

I don't know why the bishop would need to re-sign into the M.O.R.S. once he has already signed in?

Thank you for your help - I really do appreciate it!

Jim Jones
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jonejam2 wrote:Tonight, I finally helped my Bishop get signed into LDS.ORG. Then had to click on leader & clerk resources and it made him sign in again. [T]hen he went into Missionary Online Recommendation System and he had to sign in again.

I don't know why the bishop would need to re-sign into the M.O.R.S. once he has already signed in?
Currently each Church website that uses LDS Account credentialling for logon must be logged onto individually. Each site requires credential verification. The logon for one site does not carry to any other sites.

Down the road, sometime in the future...

CHQ is working to make a single logon to any Church website that uses LDS Account valid for all other websites using LDS Account credentialling. This would permit users to move between websites without logging onto each site as it is acsessed as long as the user does not log out or close the web browser.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jdlessley wrote:Currently each Church website that uses LDS Account credentialling for logon must be logged onto individually. Each site requires credential verification. The logon for one site does not carry to any other sites.

Down the road, sometime in the future...

CHQ is working to make a single logon to any Church website that uses LDS Account valid for all other websites using LDS Account credentialling. This would permit users to move between websites without logging onto each site as it is acsessed as long as the user does not log out or close the web browser.
Actually this is in place for some parts. The main lds (calendar, directory, maps, leader, etc) are all separate applications that use this method.
You are correct that more of the applications are moving this way.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jonejam2 wrote:... But, for a new Bishop and his even newer ward clerk it's a handful. I have little trouble making the system work - its helping the Bishop make it work FOR HIM that is tough! :)Jim Jones
One thing I have found helpful is to provide screenshots in a document for the common simple tasks. It takes a little time to put one together, but once it is done those who are a bit challenged by the technology (like one of our Bishopric Counselors) like they can have a paper next to the computer that leads them step-by-step through the process.

I have created documents things like for logging into MLS and Changing the Password, Creating and Printing Custom reports, Accessing the Patriarchal Blessing Recommend form (for the Bishop if I am not there), etc. They are in OpenOffice and I would be happy to provide copies to anyone who might find them useful...

Return to “General Discussions”