Calendar-reserve resources by organization

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sstockfo

Calendar-reserve resources by organization

Post by sstockfo »

Is there a way to reserve a resource by organization? I know I can do it by ward. Can I reserve the building for only YM & YW on Wednesday nights so the 6 quorums (beehives, mia miads, laurels, deacons, teachers, & priests) can reserve the gym and other rooms amongst themselves?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sstockfo wrote:Is there a way to reserve a resource by organization? I know I can do it by ward. Can I reserve the building for only YM & YW on Wednesday nights so the 6 quorums (beehives, mia miads, laurels, deacons, teachers, & priests) can reserve the gym and other rooms amongst themselves?
At present, blocks of time may be assigned only to wards or the stake. If you're really worried about other organizations within the ward reserving the building on Wednesday evenings when they shouldn't, your only option is to block out the time so that only the building scheduler can schedule those times. But that's probably more hassle than it's worth. I would think that it would work to assign the building to the ward for Wednesday evening, and then within ward council clarify that only the YM & YW should be using the building those times.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sstockfo

Post by sstockfo »

it's a little more complicated than that however, we have 3 wards in our building, all three youth programs combine together for wednesday night meetings. So it would be very helpful to have the ability to say only the youth can schedule a resource as we have leaders in all three wards needing to do so.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sstockfo wrote:it's a little more complicated than that however, we have 3 wards in our building, all three youth programs combine together for wednesday night meetings. So it would be very helpful to have the ability to say only the youth can schedule a resource as we have leaders in all three wards needing to do so.
Your original post mentioned 6 organizations, but now you're clarifying that you really mean 18 organizations. That is indeed more complicated. You certainly can request such a feature using the Submit Feedback link.

Without further details on how these three wards coordinate such scheduling, it's hard to suggest how to handle this with the current software. But I would think that there is some sort of system for who is in charge of taking the lead on scheduling a particular activity. If that system has a repeating pattern by ward (e.g., the three wards rotate responsibility each week, and then within their week a particular ward rotates among the classes and quorums), then you still might be able to use the repeating features of the Reserving Locations and Resources page to at least make assignments by ward, and then the problem is reduced to what I said in my original reply.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sstockfo

Post by sstockfo »

no, just six organizations. The 3 wards combined the youth programs, drawing leadership from all three wards. So, the laurel advisor is from 3rd, the mia maid advisor is from 5th, and the deacons advisor is from 4th, etc. Still, just 3 yw and 3 ym quorums, just all the adult leadership is spread across 3 wards, which means three different sunday meeting times and difficult to simply just catch another leader in the hallway to discuss who needs to use the gym on the next mutual night.

So, being able to say the building is only available to the ym and yw would allow the adult leader from one ward to schedule the gym without the headache of trying to track down all the other adult leaders in the other two wards.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sstockfo wrote:no, just six organizations. The 3 wards combined the youth programs, drawing leadership from all three wards. So, the laurel advisor is from 3rd, the mia maid advisor is from 5th, and the deacons advisor is from 4th, etc. Still, just 3 yw and 3 ym quorums, just all the adult leadership is spread across 3 wards, which means three different sunday meeting times and difficult to simply just catch another leader in the hallway to discuss who needs to use the gym on the next mutual night.

So, being able to say the building is only available to the ym and yw would allow the adult leader from one ward to schedule the gym without the headache of trying to track down all the other adult leaders in the other two wards.
That certainly is an unusual situation. But although it could be helpful to block out the Wednesday evening as you suggest, I'm having a hard time understanding the concern that other adult leaders for other auxiliaries would be reserving the building on Wednesdays if you didn't have the feature you suggest. In every ward I've ever been in, everyone knows when Mutual meets and wouldn't think of scheduling anything for Wednesday night. And if I understand your proposal correctly, all that would happen is that the RS, EQ, HP, Primary, etc. in all three wards would be stopped from scheduling the building on Wednesday evening -- which I doubt would be happening anyway. So it seems like it would be a lot of work to develop this complex feature for a rare situation.

But perhaps the bigger issue is sharing the event calendar, not excluding other organizations from scheduling the building. If so, I would suggest that you have a single YM/YW calendar (or more than one if desired) that is a stake calendar and thus visible to all members of the stake. Of course, only your three wards would be interested in it, but that's okay -- the stake calendar would be called something like "Elm Street Building YM/YW" that uniquely identifies it so that other wards wouldn't be tempted to subscribe to it. All the appropriate youth leaders could be made editors of that calendar. Then the right set of people would be able to add events to the calendar, and the youth and their parents in those three wards could subscribe to that calendar.
sstockfo

Post by sstockfo »

my way would keep the deacons from assuming the gym is for them when the beehives took the time to reserve it. Otherwise it is always two or three leaders showing up and 5 minutes before the meeting arguing who gets the gym
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sstockfo wrote:my way would keep the deacons from assuming the gym is for them when the beehives took the time to reserve it. Otherwise it is always two or three leaders showing up and 5 minutes before the meeting arguing who gets the gym
For your idea to work, it would have to be known which class has the gym for any particular week. If that is the case, then with the current system you could go ahead and actually schedule it. If the Beehives have it, put an event on the calendar reserving the gym for that date. It's just as easy to schedule it as it is to make an assignment. Then when you know the details of the event, the calendar editor can simply edit the details for that particular event, preserving the room reservation. That sounds easy enough, and it works right now.

Return to “General Discussions”