Old Mormon Commercials

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
shanebankhead

Old Mormon Commercials

Post by shanebankhead »

I am tasked with putting together a multimedia presentation for a stake event, and I need to find several of those old Mormon commercials from the 70's & 80's. I'm not looking for the newer Mormon.org commercials, I need the older cheezy ones. You know the ones I'm talking about...

There are a lot of these on YouTube and elsewhere on the internet, but they are mostly very poor quality copies from old VHS tape.

Does anyone know if these are available anywhere other than the terrible copies circulating the Net? For me, these are iconic pieces of Mormon history so I had hoped someone would have archived them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Shane
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

SBankhead wrote:I am tasked with putting together a multimedia presentation for a stake event, and I need to find several of those old Mormon commercials from the 70's & 80's. I'm not looking for the newer Mormon.org commercials, I need the older cheezy ones. You know the ones I'm talking about...
There is an obscure older page on mormon.org that has the Homefront videos going back to 1998 (Internet Explorer is required for viewing the videos, I think). But it sounds like you want something a couple of decades before that. I doubt there's an official source for those at this point.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Found they don't work with Firefox 3.6.8 either, and Firefox is the successor to the Netscape browser, which is apparently no longer available as Mozilla and Firefox superceded all versions of that.

The page bears a copyright date of 2005, and appears to have not been updated any since it went online.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I think I have most of them, however, they are digitized from video, and not the greatest quality... send me a private message and we can see if they'll work out.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JamesAnderson wrote:Found they don't work with Firefox 3.6.8 either, and Firefox is the successor to the Netscape browser, which is apparently no longer available as Mozilla and Firefox superceded all versions of that.

The page bears a copyright date of 2005, and appears to have not been updated any since it went online.
I did say that Internet Explorer was required. I had already verified that FF doesn't work.

In the meantime, I have verified that IE8 does work, so my guess is that any version of IE would show these Homefront videos.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
shanebankhead

Post by shanebankhead »

Thanks for your responses. That link is very helpful, and may work for what I need to do. I suspect the event organizers may have over-estimated the age of the commercials they were looking for. So those will probably do just fine.

Return to “General Discussions”