LDSTech Developers Conference: What Time of Year?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.

Which time of year is best for you to attend the LDSTech Developers Conference?

Other (elaborate below)
4%
Other (elaborate below)
42%
Other (elaborate below)
42%
Other (elaborate below)
4%
Other (elaborate below)
8%

Total votes: 24

McDanielCA

LDSTech Developers Conference: What Time of Year?

Post by McDanielCA »

What time of year would be best for you to attend the next LDSTech Developers Conference in the Salt Lake area? Please feel free to make other comments about the time of year.
jackcholt

Post by jackcholt »

I voted for Spring but anytime near one of the conferences would be fine. Being from California, I liked that I could just stay the weekend and attend Gen Conf as well.
rgilgen-p40

Near Conference

Post by rgilgen-p40 »

Having it near conference was convenient for a lot of people. I can go nearly any time, but seems like that was a good time for getting folks who otherwise might not be able to travel to Utah.
shanewalters

Post by shanewalters »

I'm also from California, but find it very difficult having this conference right next to General Conference. For me, it is a great inconvenience. The first conference (due to plane scheduling) caused me to miss the first session of General Conference on Saturday.
KathrynGZ

Post by KathrynGZ »

Coming from Memphis, I found it helpful to have the tech conference scheduled near general conference. I was able to make one trip and attend them both.

I would be fine with either April or October general conference, though it would make sense to wait until April since our last one was in April.

Kathryn
thedunsons

East Coast?

Post by thedunsons »

I wonder if there are enough attendees away from the West Coast to warrant a location change? Would keep things a little more balanced and provide those unable to travel so far the opportunity to attend. Any stats on WHERE the attendees travel from to get to the last one? Perhaps rotate the location or something. Would probably require more church resources to be used though, to fund travel, renting a venue, etc. Just some thoughts...
-mike
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

relaxmosphere wrote:I wonder if there are enough attendees away from the West Coast to warrant a location change? Would keep things a little more balanced and provide those unable to travel so far the opportunity to attend. Any stats on WHERE the attendees travel from to get to the last one? Perhaps rotate the location or something. Would probably require more church resources to be used though, to fund travel, renting a venue, etc. Just some thoughts...
This is an interesting site containing LDS membership distribution by state statistics: http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_lds.html

...and especially this map: http://www.adherents.com/maps/map_us_lds.jpg

As you can see, it makes the most sense to have a West Coast (or better yet Mountain Area) conference in order to have the best chance of a sizable attendance.

However, they had a mini-conference in California a while back that seemed like it was because a few of the CIS leadership was already going to be in the area (I could be wrong on that impression). Perhaps there will be a time where a few of the same leadership will be on the East Coast at some point and could hold something. But I'm sure you can understand that it does have to be worth the time, money, and effort by having enough people show up.

Perhaps a poll could be held in the forums to ask how many would come to a conference held at <some location on or near the East Coast>? My personal guess is that there will be like 5-10 responses in the affirmative, but I would love to be wrong in this regard.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

No decisions have been made yet, but next year's developer's conference will mostly likely be in Utah again. However, we are considering a lot of options about remote attendance and even smaller events in different locations.
SmootAR

Post by SmootAR »

So the venue and time is similar to last year. The LDSTech Conference is scheduled for THU March 31 - FRI April 1, 2011. Thursday will be downtown Salt Lake at a chapel, and Friday will be at the Riverton Office Building (ROB). We will be sending out communication on this soon, but put those dates on your calendar if you are planning to attend.
SmootAR

Post by SmootAR »

thedunsons wrote:I wonder if there are enough attendees away from the West Coast to warrant a location change? Would keep things a little more balanced and provide those unable to travel so far the opportunity to attend. Any stats on WHERE the attendees travel from to get to the last one? Perhaps rotate the location or something. Would probably require more church resources to be used though, to fund travel, renting a venue, etc. Just some thoughts...

We are actually planning to do multiple mini-conferences following our Spring Conference to allow people from multiple locations to come to attend closer to home. The locations haven't been finalized, but we plan to start in the US and expand from there.

Return to “General Discussions”