Electronic Missionary Meals Calendar

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
markstahler

Electronic Missionary Meals Calendar

Post by markstahler »

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully introduced an electronic calendar for tracking missionary meal appointments? Our Bishop asked me to look into a shared Google Calendar but that would limit participation to those with Gmail accounts. An LDS.org calendar would be ideal but I do not know how to allow access to the missionaries in our ward (who do not have a dedicated Ward account to give permissions to edit). There are Pros and Cons to both the Gmail or the LDS.org calendar. Certainly the LDS.org calendar us preferable but having the missionaries be able to edit their own meal calendar is a key requirement. Thanks
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Electronic Missionary Meals Calendar

Post by sbradshaw »

Could you use a Google Spreadsheet with 7 columns and 5 rows? The sharing settings could be set such that anyone with the link can edit (without having to have a Google account).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jds580s

Post by jds580s »

markstahler, I’m a little late to your post, but you could try MissionaryDinnerCalendar.com
Quite a few wards and branches use it to schedule and track missionary dinner appointments.
Try these free tools:
MissionaryDinnerCalendar.com - Online calendar for members to sign up and feed the missionaries in your ward.
CallingManager.com - Tool to visualize and manage callings in a ward
markstahler

Post by markstahler »

jds580s wrote:markstahler, I’m a little late to your post, but you could try MissionaryDinnerCalendar.com
Quite a few wards and branches use it to schedule and track missionary dinner appointments.
Hi Justin, I actually found your website and we did try and give this a go in our unit but unfortunately we found that the website URL was blocked on our missionaries personal devices. I do not know who manages the missionaries whitelist/blacklist so we are still using a paper calendar for the time being.
ChristianSoldier

Post by ChristianSoldier »

With missionaries no longer able to visit homes because of Covid-19, we are dropping off meals. Would be great to get an online sign up that is not blocked by missionary devices.
markstahler

Post by markstahler »

ChristianSoldier wrote:With missionaries no longer able to visit homes because of Covid-19, we are dropping off meals. Would be great to get an online sign up that is not blocked by missionary devices.
Unfortunately the path forward we have chosen is for someone to send the Missionaries screenshots of the website. Far from ideal but the best we have come up with.

Anybody know where we can make a request to try and whitelist this URL?
Spensational

Post by Spensational »

Our ward is also struggling with this, especially during COVID.

If anyone in LDS Tech is monitoring this, can you please let us know if there is a way to set up a shared calendar using the ward missionaries area email accessible on their phones? Google calendars seems to be blocked as an app available for download and URLs to Google calendars are blacklisted.

I'm told by the Elders that in their last area the WML had figured out a way to book appointments into their calendar. If I get any info on this, will post.
heyring

Post by heyring »

We have this need as well. It would make it easier for us to feed the Missionaries if we could quickly coordinate the schedule of Missionary meals. Any update on this?
JamesPerry

Post by JamesPerry »

Same as above.

This seems like an easy fix and one that should be looked at.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The developers work at the direction of church leaders. A department, such as the missionary department, would have to want this to happen.

Skimming the Handbook, I can't see where "Missionary Meals" are an official part of the church program.

As such, I think it unlikely we will see a calendar solution come from SLC.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”