Church of Jesus Christ k-12 school

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Melindaanns

Church of Jesus Christ k-12 school

Post by Melindaanns »

I'm wondering why the church has not already established a school for our children. Many other religions have a full time school program for grades k-12. I wish so much that our church had an accredited school program for our children. I really do not want to put my children in the schools provided today. And I know many parents in my area feel the same way.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Church of Jesus Christ k-12 school

Post by sbradshaw »

The Church does operate some K-12 schools in other countries, in particular Mexico and the Pacific. You can see a full list here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Ed ... _education
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The Church has stated that there is no intent to establish secular elementary and secondary education except in a very few already existing instances where countries do not have such education programs. In other areas of the Church members who have paid taxes and are a part of the community are usually involved with their community schools. Parents can and should have a great influence on the quality of the schools in their communities.

The mission of the Church is religious, not secular, and its resources are focused on the family and strengthening them to live the gospel and be a light to the rest of the world.

If you have particular challenges in your area with public schooling, I would suggest that you speak with your bishop and/or stake president and discuss ways that are available to you as parents to positively influence the education your children are receiving. In some cases, it may involve taking time in the family to teach children correct principles and help them understand that the world does not always see things the way the Lord sees them. In other cases, involvement with parent-teacher associations or in other activities at school will allow parents to have a positive influence and direction on activities there.

Your bishop or stake president, with other parents who have dealt with this challenge, will be able to help you. I recommend that you take advantage of their experiences, and follow the promptings of the Spirit as you navigate this difficult course.

Because the situation will be a local matter that is different for each of you, and because this forum is intended to be a technical forum for leaders and clerks, this subject is really off-topic for the forum. Your best guidance will come from your local priesthood leaders, along with the inspiration you will receive as you prayerful consider the needs of your children and family.
Melindaanns

Post by Melindaanns »

Thank you for your replies. I struggle with the schools in my area, and I dont only fear for their education, but for their safety. Environments I've seen, and other parents have seen ,make for an unwelcoming atmosphere. I would almost rather put my children in another religion's school in my area than a public or charter school.
tmaness

Post by tmaness »

lajackson wrote:
> The Church has stated that there is no intent to establish secular
> elementary and secondary education except in a very few already existing
> instances where countries do not have such education programs. In other
> areas of the Church members who have paid taxes and are a part of the
> community are usually involved with their community schools. Parents can
> and should have a great influence on the quality of the schools in their
> communities.
>
> The mission of the Church is religious, not secular, and its resources are
> focused on the family and strengthening them to live the gospel and be a
> light to the rest of the world.

When will we wake up and realize that, for the strength of our youth and for the posterity of this church, the church needs to get involved in the secular education of its rising generation? I am sorry, but our children spend more time with their teachers and coaches than they do with us. We try to support their spiritual growth as best we can through family council, church attendance, and seminary attendance, but is it enough? I guess time will tell. They are bombarded by a very liberal ideology throughout junior high and high school. Encouraging parents to just get involved in their district through PTO (or what have you) cannot be the only answer. Our church has the funds. We should invest in its future. Bare minimum, the church should produce a K-12 curriculum and support the organization of home schooling groups. Maybe it starts there and expands to a proper church-run institution… perhaps initially leveraging the of meeting houses and stake centers that we have. I don’t know how it begins, but I have to believe it will… eventually, it will get bad enough… I just hope it isn’t too late.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

tmaness wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:42 pm ... support the organization of home schooling groups. ...
If I'm informed correctly, there was and perhaps still is a regular conference at BYU focused on home-schooling, where families share ideas and such. I'm grateful my daughter and son-in-law are home-schooling my grandchildren.
adkinsjm

Post by adkinsjm »

The ark does not need to be steadied..

Return to “General Discussions”