depression medication & serving a mission

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
colbyj

depression medication & serving a mission

Post by colbyj »

Hi, I am a Bishop and have a young man that desires to serve a full-time mission. He is on depression medicine. He and his parents are wondering how this may preclude or affect him from serving. Specifically, does this exclude him from serving a foreign mission? He is willing to serve wherever, but they inquired of me about how being on these meds might affect foreign consideration as well.

I assume he would be able to serve regardless as long as his medicine is closely managed.

How may I best advise this young man and parents?

Thank you
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: depression medication & serving a mission

Post by lajackson »

colbyj wrote:I assume he would be able to serve regardless as long as his medicine is closely managed.
Medical information is considered during the process of making a mission call decision. As far as I am aware, he should be able to serve.

A call to a foreign mission would be challenging because the missionary will not be able to get his medication in the U.S. and have it sent to the foreign country. So he would need to have a relationship with a doctor in that country who would monitor his condition and prescribe any needed medication. I do not know if that would preclude a call to a foreign country, but it seems to me that it would make such a call problematic.

Nevertheless, mission calls are inspired and I am sure he would be called where he would best be able to serve. Personally, I would counsel the potential missionary and his family to do everything he can to prepare to serve, and then to trust in the Lord that the right call will come.
colbyj

Re: depression medication & serving a mission

Post by colbyj »

thank you very much, I appreciate the feedback and counsel.

Return to “General Discussions”