11 year old primary children's transition

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: 11 year old primary children's transition

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:This reminds me of the time many years ago when I was in the Old Testament class in Sunday School three years in a row.
Class got stuck in Isaiah?
Ha! It was a time of transition similar to this one, in a small ward where classes were combined because there were few youth and each class studied a different topic. Interestingly, the ward was willing to call a teacher just for me, and asked me if I would like for them to do that.

My answer was that I would rather stay with my friends, which is one of the main reasons for this latest change announced yesterday by the First Presidency. Some things never change.

As an off-topic aside, I really came to love those Old Testament stories. And as a personnal note, if anyone really does get stuck in Isaiah, I have two suggestions. One, read the interpretation in the Book of Mormon. Two, read Isaiah for Dummies by John Bytheway.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:I predict we'll see future posts here caused by premature ordinations. No doubt, LCR will reject such ordinations, but I suspect by then the deed has been done.
The bishop will then have two options. He can request that the First Presidency ratify the out-of-policy ordination or it can be redone correctly. Neither is an option I would like to experience.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I predict we'll see future posts here caused by premature ordinations. No doubt, LCR will reject such ordinations, but I suspect by then the deed has been done.
The bishop will then have two options. He can request that the First Presidency ratify the out-of-policy ordination or it can be redone correctly. Neither is an option I would like to experience.
Based on my reading of Handbook 1: 16.1.10 under "Ordinances That Were Performed before the Appropriate Age", I tend to doubt if ratification by the First Presidency is an option.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Based on my reading of Handbook 1: 16.1.10 under "Ordinances That Were Performed before the Appropriate Age", I tend to doubt if ratification by the First Presidency is an option.
Oh, you would be surprised. But as scgallafent said, this is not an option I would like to experience, either.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

I know this is a premature question, and one for which there may be no answer. But hey, it's worth a shot.

Do any of the Church employees know if LCR is already configured to allow limited-use recommends to be issued to the 11 year old going into Young Men or Young Women? We have three youth in this category for whom I've been instructed to issue a recommend "as soon as possible," with some of those families eyeing the stake temple day on January 19th.

Likewise, will LCR handle ordinations of 11 year olds on 1 Jan, or am I going to be clutching paper records in safety deposit boxes (yeah, a little extreme) to make sure I don't lose those records?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

nutterb wrote:Do any of the Church employees know if LCR is already configured to allow limited-use recommends to be issued to the 11 year old going into Young Men or Young Women? We have three youth in this category for whom I've been instructed to issue a recommend "as soon as possible," with some of those families eyeing the stake temple day on January 19th.
Yes.
nutterb wrote:Likewise, will LCR handle ordinations of 11 year olds on 1 Jan, or am I going to be clutching paper records in safety deposit boxes (yeah, a little extreme) to make sure I don't lose those records?
Yes.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

Thank you. My anxiety level just went down some (from 0.2 to 0.1, on a scale of one to ten).
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

It probably wouldn't hurt for me to also point out that the usual caveats apply:
  • You won't be able to issue a temple recommend to an 11-year-old young man if his ordination has not been recorded
  • You won't be able to issue a temple recommend before the youth is eligible - January 1 is the implementation date, anyone who tries to record an ordination or issue a recommend for someone who turns 11 ON January 1 will be able to do that ... on January 1, 2020
  • Young men must be interviewed and sustained in sacrament meeting before being ordained
aldebaraan

Post by aldebaraan »

While I'm really excited about these changes, there is one strange quirk to all of this that I find a bit strange.

The Deacon & Beehive classes will have youth aged 11-13, Teachers & Mia Maids will be 13-15, and Priests & Laurels will be 15-18.

But Sunday School classes appear to still be set up according to the age you are at the beginning of the year.
This means the 11 yo class will have youth aged 11-12, the 12-13 yo class will be 12-14, the 14-15 yo class will be 14-16, and the 16-17 yo class will be 16-18.

This means youth will be meeting with others older than them one week and others younger than them the next. Not bad, just completely offset now that we've aligned ordinations and YW progression. Rather than meeting with their quorums during Sunday School, they're meeting with a totally different group. Any thoughts on this?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aldebaraan wrote:This means the 11 yo class will have youth aged 11-12, the 12-13 yo class will be 12-14, the 14-15 yo class will be 14-16, and the 16-17 yo class will be 16-18.
How ages are grouped for SS classes is up to the ward. In our ward we have separate classes for each year (Course 11, Course 12, Course 13, etc.). So for SS they only meet with those the same age.

If your ward chooses to have Course 11, Course 12-13, Course 14-15 and Course 16-17 that is fine. But they could also choose to align the SS classes with the YW/YM classes if they want. It all depends on what the SS Presidency and Bishopric decide. They would likely consider how many youth you have, what their ages are, whether there are members available to call as teachers, whether there are space limitations in the building, etc.

Return to “General Discussions”