Church calling etc available for someone with a misdemeanor

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
longc

Church calling etc available for someone with a misdemeanor

Post by longc »

My Stake President is looking for guidance on a matter involving a person who has a misdemeanor on their record.

If a person has a misdemeanor can they hold a temple recommend??

Are there any restrictions on callings they can hold in the church??

Can you quote hand book for me??

Thanks!!
eblood66

Re: Church calling etc available for someone with a misdemeanor

Post by eblood66 »

I'm not aware of any policies regarding misdemeanors as a category but certain crimes might also be considered serious transgressions that would require church discipline or possibly a record annotation. Restrictions on callings or temple recommends would be part of the church discipline or the annotation.

I'd recommend the stake president carefully study pretty much all of Handbook 1 section 6 on church discipline but particularly sections 6.7.2 and 6.7.3. Sections 3.3.3 and 3.3.4 may also be useful in regards to temple recommends. If he needs further help he would probably need to consult with his area authority.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd start with reading Handbook 1: 6.7 - Determining Whether a Disciplinary Council Is Necessary. Also 6.13.4 about annotations.

If it doesn't appear that a Disciplinary Council is necessary, and they can still pass the questions in a temple recommend interview - I'm not sure as pulling/denying their recommend is warranted. Some callings require that the person be worthy of a recommend. You'd have to read the section that covers the calling in question.

If the misdemeanor suggests the person might be a danger to other members, then an annotation may be warranted. That will automatically limit what callings the person can hold.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
longc

Post by longc »

Thanks for your help!!

Return to “General Discussions”