Christ statue in Hyde Park Chapel?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
blaineg

Christ statue in Hyde Park Chapel?

Post by blaineg »

I just stumbled across some pictures of the Christ statue installed in the Hyde Park Chapel. Every reference I've seen calls it "the Christus", but it's clearly a different sculpture from Thorvaldsen's, though probably inspired by it.

Any idea who the sculptor is, or the title of the work? I've always loved Thorvaldsen's, but this statue seems kinder and gentler.

(And a little more digging shows a number of photos of a Christus replica at Hyde Park, while others show this statue. So the statue was changed at some point.)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Christ statue in Hyde Park Chapel?

Post by lajackson »

blaineg wrote:Any idea who the sculptor is, or the title of the work? I've always loved Thorvaldsen's, but this statue seems kinder and gentler.
Quite a number of replicas of Thorvaldsen's The Christus have been made, but they usually more closely match the original. I am not aware of the history of this statue in the Hyde Park Chapel.

Return to “General Discussions”