How to change age policy for youth Sunday School?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
CWatsonJr

How to change age policy for youth Sunday School?

Post by CWatsonJr »

In every ward I have been in, it has been difficult to explain to the youth why they don't advance to the next Sunday School class after their birthday. They are used to doing this when YM and YW so it confuses them with Sunday School.

How would we ask the church to review this policy and possibly change it? Would it be through the Stake President?

Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to change age policy for youth Sunday School?

Post by russellhltn »

CWatsonJr wrote:How would we ask the church to review this policy and possibly change it? Would it be through the Stake President?
Yes. But note that advancing them to the adult class is a local decision. It can be on their 18th birthday. See the appropriate sections of Handbook 2.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

CWatsonJr wrote:In every ward I have been in, it has been difficult to explain to the youth why they don't advance to the next Sunday School class after their birthday. They are used to doing this when YM and YW so it confuses them with Sunday School.
It seems to me that YM/YW is the exception. Primary classes change at the beginning of the year, so youth should be very familiar with changing classes in January, not on their birthday. I haven't heard of this being an issue with any of the youth I've worked with. But I can see how it might be a bit confusing to some people.
CWatsonJr wrote:How would we ask the church to review this policy and possibly change it? Would it be through the Stake President?
Yes, the stake president has a line of communication where he can make suggestions if he feels strongly about them.
schmuhl

Post by schmuhl »

And with the recent changes this Fall, YM/YW is no longer the exception! For SS classes see Handbook 2, 12.4., which currently reads, "For consistency with ordination ages and age-group progression in Aaronic Priesthood quorums and Young Women classes, youth are normally divided into classes based on their age on December 31 of the previous year."

Return to “General Discussions”