Mass Communication

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mass Communication

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:(WhatsApp) Any thoughts?
  • It's owned by Facebook - those who highly value their privacy may avoid it. I'd suggest reading the privacy policy as it indicates that you agree to surrender the list of contacts on your phone, including ones outside of the app.
  • Minimum age for use in the US is 13 (16 in Europe)
  • While Sunday School announcements isn't a concern, if the scope grows, I'd be concerned about keeping the list of users up to date to remove those who have left the ward.
  • It appears that you may get ads for other Facebook services. Currently 3rd party ads against their policy, but that could change.
  • The modern day corollary to "There's no free lunch": If you're not paying for the product, you ARE the product.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

you agree to surrender the list of contacts on your phone, including ones outside of the app.
I would remain blissfully disconnected
Well, that was fast and easy! I love this place.

I visited a city this past week where there are a few bulletins on a small table at the entrance to the chapel, along with a QR code to scan if you prefer an electronic copy of the bulletin. Most use that option. They seem to have it figured out pretty well. There are only one or two bulletins remaining on the table after sacrament meeting. And everyone was included and felt at home in their ward.

My Mom was in Relief Society recently when they were having the discussion that everyone needed a smart phone. She pointed out that she did not have one (she still has a land line), but that they were welcome to email her, and she knew how to retrieve the messages. The sister sitting next to her piped up to say she didn't even own a computer.

We live in a wonderful world. My smarter-than-I-am phone dumped me on several apps this past week because I am still running Android OS 5 and they have "enhanced the app" to require 6.0 and above. And yes, I know that both of those numbers are rather archaic.

So I turned off my phone and played with my children and grandchildren. After all, that's what the new Come, Follow Me curriculum is really about, isn't it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:There are only one or two bulletins remaining on the table after sacrament meeting.
That's well done. The ideal number of left overs is one - because that means everyone who wanted one, got one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
parkerjames

Post by parkerjames »

lajackson,

I was recently approached by my bishop to find a way to provide the bulletin information in an electronic format. As the ward bulletin guy for my ward I am intrigued by your experience regarding the bulletin and QR code. Can you provide any additional insight on that and how I might be able to go about implementing something similar? Or direct me to the unit you visited so that I might reach out to their leadership to get their suggestions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The QR code is probably just a web link to the bulletin. Perhaps a document stored in Dropbox. There's any number of sites that can create a custom QR code for that.

If the bulletin is limited in scope (less than 2953 characters) it could be stored in the QR code itself.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

parkerjames wrote:I am intrigued by your experience regarding the bulletin and QR code.
It worked as russellhltn suggested. The bulletin was saved as a pdf file and posted at a website (I do not know which one). A QR code opened the site and the person could access the pdf file there. Most downloaded it to their device.

The QR code went directly to the location of the current bulletin which also contained a link to a set of previous bulletins going back a few weeks or so.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Of course, if the bulletin is posted on the internet, it raises a question if there's any restrictions on what should be in the bulletin. (Such as otherwise private contact information). On one hand, it's protected only by "security though obscurity" but on the other this is the same security that many people use to limit the shares of various files.

chrissb

Post by chrissb »

This is a topic that our ward is now discussing. Since we have less time in Sacrament meeting and we don't have YM and YW opening exercises to talk about or remind people about events, and there's significantly less time in the Primary, we would like to make something that is more available and easy to share. We are starting a website (got approval from the Stake) but we were informed on this topic here: https://www.lds.org/pages/online-resour ... b-internet
Examples of Inappropriate Uses
The following are some examples of inappropriate uses:
A stake creates a website with a calendar of all upcoming meetings, activities, and events.
Reason: Websites, blogs, and social media profiles should not duplicate tools that are already available on LDS.org.

Our goal is not to duplicate the LDS calendar, but to give better information and an easier way to remind people what the events are - so they can go to a page that shows the upcoming activities during the week or month. We also want it to be a method to advertise to friends of the church in our area. We use the LDS calendar to reserve the chapel between 3 wards in 3 different stakes.

We have found that Facebook is cumbersome as well. Plus being on Facebook causes a lot of distraction and several people don't have or want Facebook accounts for them or their kids.

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this topic.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For upcoming events, I'd have a harder look at using the calendar. Far too many units seem to use it as a "building reservation" app instead of what seems to be: designed as a member-facing communication system of upcoming events. The calendar is available to everyone with an LDS Account and appears on-line and in LDS Tools. There is sync capability that allows adding selected calendars to one's personal calendar.

It does require the units to spend some time thinking about how they want to set up the different calendars. I personally think two calendars for every organization would be a starting point - one for activities and one for just the leadership meetings. The latter would be set to "private", not because we're hiding anything, but to cut down on confusion among the membership. As I say, it's just a starting point to add more or prune unneeded ones from there.

But not everyone has a computer. To reach those, it's going to be necessary to put all the announcements into the sacrament program. I've posted my thoughts on that up-thread.

waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Then there are people like me (us) who have email, are computer literate (obviously), but do not, nor will, use Facebook, Twitter, texts, or have a "smart phone". I guess this shows the truth of the phrase: "one size does not fit all". ;)

Return to “General Discussions”