One PH administering the sacrament to shut-ins

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
BarryHill

One PH administering the sacrament to shut-ins

Post by BarryHill »

I have searched many times for whether one PH holder can administer the sacrament to a shut-in. I cannot find an answer. I think of situations where a husband and wife of a Father and a Deacon or Teacher go visit a shut-in.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: One PH administering the sacrament to shut-ins

Post by lajackson »

barryhill wrote:I have searched many times for whether one PH holder can administer the sacrament to a shut-in. I cannot find an answer. I think of situations where a husband and wife of a Father and a Deacon or Teacher go visit a shut-in.
There is no requirement for two different priests or elders to bless the sacrament. In your situation, the father would need to give both prayers. The Handbook also outlines a situation where a father may be allowed to administer the sacrament in his home. Unless he has a son who is a priest, he would need to give both prayers.

The key is that the bishop has authorized the ordinance, whether in a home or at another location, depending on the circumstances, and that the prayers are given by a priest or elder.
BarryHill

Re: One PH administering the sacrament to shut-ins

Post by BarryHill »

Thanks for that response because I never found the reference even when I was a bishop. I am very aware that in every case the bishop holds the keys to authorizing the administering the sacrament.

Return to “General Discussions”