Civil Marriage

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
davids946

Civil Marriage

Post by davids946 »

As the Bishop I have been asked to do the civil marriage for a non-member who lives in our community. She is marrying a member from another unit. The handbook states:

[Quotes from Handbook 1 removed, but they basically say that First Presidency approval is required in this situation]

Do I need approval of the First Presidency for this situation? If so how do I get approval of the First Presidency?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Civil Marriage

Post by scgallafent »

According to Handbook 1, you do need First Presidency approval. Your stake president can assist you with this.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Another possibility to consider would be for the groom's bishop to perform the ceremony.
jacobfolkman

Post by jacobfolkman »

Is the wedding taking place inside the church? If not, then of course you don't need permission from anyone. You're legally permitted to conduct weddings and you're a grown adult. The first presidency doesn't enter into it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jacobfolkman wrote:Is the wedding taking place inside the church? If not, then of course you don't need permission from anyone. You're legally permitted to conduct weddings and you're a grown adult. The first presidency doesn't enter into it.
This is not true for a bishop when one of the people getting married is a member of the Church. Location is not the issue.

If neither was a member of the Church, a bishop could do the ceremony without permission. But if one or both of them are members, the bishop needs to follow the instructions in the Handbook.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jacobfolkman wrote:Is the wedding taking place inside the church? If not, then of course you don't need permission from anyone. You're legally permitted to conduct weddings and you're a grown adult. The first presidency doesn't enter into it.
You may be correct in the US a bishop is legally authorized by the government to perform a valid civil marriage. This may not be true in all countries.
lajackson is referring to a bishop's responsibility to follow the handbook which does not allow them to perform such a marriage without proper authorization.
Abbotemokpae

Post by Abbotemokpae »

I don't know where to find civil marriage in the New general handbook, my beloved member they are getting married on the 12 September 2020 so I can not find civil marriage
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Abbotemokpae wrote:I don't know where to find civil marriage in the New general handbook
Section 38.3.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”