Missionary Android Phone Specs

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jmjosh90

Missionary Android Phone Specs

Post by jmjosh90 »

I am preparing to return to missionary service in the US, and have heard about/seen missionaries bringing their own android phones to use with special software included. Is there a list of phones that are allowed/compatibility requirements somwwhere? (I've heard rumors that they have to be Samsungs)
Joshua Matthews
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Android Phone Specs

Post by russellhltn »

It depends on the mission. Your mission call should advise you of the details.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jmjosh90 wrote:I am preparing to return to missionary service in the US,
If you check with your mission office, they should have details. Your ward clerk will be able to provide you with contact information if you do not already have it. Welcome back.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

My son is serving in the New Jersey mission (which is a tablet mission) and attend mission-wide training last week referring to the Samsung J2 phone.

This does NOT mean anything other than what I stated. I have no idea what mission policy is on the roll-out, only what he reported as communicated to their mission.
torifrehner

Post by torifrehner »

I am going on a mission that requires a phone. Do i put this phone onto my person AT&T plan or dose the church have a plan to wire my phone on?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

torifrehner wrote:I am going on a mission that requires a phone. Do i put this phone onto my person AT&T plan or dose the church have a plan to wire my phone on?
When my daughter left on her mission the instruction was to get a phone without a plan (I don't remember the exact terms) and the mission would add the sim card to activate the phone service.
awchan13

Post by awchan13 »

My son recently received a call to serve in the Massachusetts Boston Mission. He had purchased a cellphone about a month ago, a Galaxy S10e, and figured it should meet the requirements for his mission. However, he saw a document yesterday stating that the missionary software cannot be run on Android 10? Only Android 8 or 9 are compatible at this time. I thought that the requirement might be dated, so figured I'd ask here. Does anyone know if a missionary can use a Samsung phone running Android 10? If not, will it be made compatible soon? I would think it would given that Android 11 is being released next month... Would seem counter intuitive to rely on older and outdated versions of software. Thanks.
jeffcrews

Post by jeffcrews »

I am interested in this question as well on if Android 10 is supported.
Gabrielparkin729

Post by Gabrielparkin729 »

jeffcrews wrote:I am interested in this question as well on if Android 10 is supported.
the stuff I got said no. not android 10
yurisantos97

Post by yurisantos97 »

Weelp, My brother is buying a phone now, so I think that every year the specs go up a bit, so its to understand that when Android 11 is out and its proven not to be a failed attempt of new OS, Operating System, that by the end of the year 2020 after updates and security updates stop interfering with Android 10 core system, the church would start to release a new letter of phone requirements.

Although, I'd like to advise DO NOT buy a phone now even if you are thinking on going in a mission next year 2021, do keep in contact with on duty new missionaries and any update on the house of the mission. Right now, save, save and save.

And I'm sorry about those who have already bought a phone with android 10, but your best choice would buy another one instead of changing. A really cheap one just to text, because its of my understanding that android 10 cellphones would only be bought because of the quality of the camera so the missionary could take awesome photos. So just get another one that the missionary can use to text and call. I don't know what the mission says about carrying a second phone. But that's a case by case basis like working with tablets, phones are still more portable and less attention attractive to ill intentions people.

Return to “General Discussions”