Merry Christmas!

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bbloomfield

Merry Christmas!

Post by bbloomfield »

This question pops up every now and then in my mind, especially this time of year. I heard once that every inch of Earth is under the authority of a priesthood leader and looking at the LDS maps of boundaries it shows that almost everywhere... except the North Pole is covered. So my question is, who is Santa Claus' bishop and what ward does he attend?

...maybe I'll just leave a note out with the cookies and milk this year!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by russellhltn »

Why, the North Pole ward in the Fairbanks Alaska Stake, of course!

Seriously, I've not seen any coverage for water/oceans. Unlike the South Pole, the North Pole is in the (Artic) ocean, not on land.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bbloomfield wrote:So my question is, who is Santa Claus' bishop and what ward does he attend?
If you get an answer to the note, be sure to let us know. [grin]

In the meantime, current membership record policy suggests that, for those who travel a lot, a member chooses a ward where his records are kept, where he pays tithing, etc. Policy also suggests that when a member is gone for less than 90 days, the record stays at the permanent location.

As efficient as he is, I suppose that this member resides in a warmer state and visits the North Pole once a year for less than 90 days. That said, every geographical point on earth is included in a stake or mission. I suspect that his northernmost location is a part of the International Mission. At least that seems to make perfect sense to me.

Moderator note: And don't anyone suggest this is the reason for the meeting schedule change on Christmas Eve. After all, he has had all year to get his home teaching completed.
bbloomfield

Post by bbloomfield »

lajackson wrote: I suspect that his northernmost location is a part of the International Mission .
What do you mean by the "International Mission?"
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bbloomfield wrote:What do you mean by the "International Mission?"
It is a full-fledged senior moment thing. In the 1970s, the Church established the International Mission. Elder Bernard P. Brockbank was the first mission president. It was headquartered in Salt Lake City and met the needs of any member who did not live within the boundaries of an existing mission or stake.

The senior moment thing is that it was discontinued in August 1987 which, by my calculations, was 30 years ago, but to my feeble mind feels as if it were just yesterday, if you don't count the fact that I totally forgot it was gone. At that time, the announcing letter said that Area Presidents would meet the needs of members formerly served by the International Mission.

Areas cover all of the earth, but I do not know which area snagged the North Pole. It is a lot like Antarctica, which is claimed by many countries with tentacles in the southerly direction. Or like a central urban city divided so that all surrounding stakes have a piece of the pie, giving equal opportunity so serve and provide welfare assistance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Areas cover all of the earth, but I do not know which area snagged the North Pole.
As far as I can tell, the oceans are not covered. At least as far as the classic maps are concerned. All the unit boundaries end a few miles offshore. Clicking within those boundaries gives me a result, but clicking the open ocean returns nothing.

Since the North Pole is technically ocean (sea ice), I don't think it's covered. But for that matter, I don't see anything in maps for the Antarctica. And that is land.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:As far as I can tell, the oceans are not covered.
Here is what was printed on the last map I saw that was ordered from Church headquarters:
Do not be concerned if your map includes uninhabited areas that you have not considered part of your unit. Church policy requires that all the land area of the world be included in the boundaries of an ecclesiastical church unit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Church policy requires that all the land area of the world be included in the boundaries of an ecclesiastical church unit.
Ok, then who covers Antarctica? Maps.lds.org couldn't tell me.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The classic map puts the McMurdo Station and Zuchelli Station in a Samoan ward in Wellington, New Zealand. Casey Station selects a Chinese branch in Auckland, New Zealand. Davis Station selects a Tongan ward in Auckland, New Zealand. The bases off of Cape Horn do the same thing. I'm going to go with New Zealand.

I'll have to ask the maps team whether they have dealt with the question. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You're having better luck with Classic than I was having.

Return to “General Discussions”