Automatic file download via wget

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jfmatav

Automatic file download via wget

Post by jfmatav »

Hi,

this is my first time posting here.

I am trying to create a script to automatically download certain files via Unix wget (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget) from the Church website. I have the url for the files and just accessing the url will download the file if I am authenticated.

However, when I try to access the url and I am not authenticated, two things happen: either I am redirected to the sign in portal (which is logical), or I get a page stating the link is unavailable along with an error code (I believe it's 21-0909). When I try accessing the link via wget I always obtain the html file with Unavailable. I have tried providing the --user and --password flags to wget with my ldsaccount credentials but I still receive the same Unavailable response.

Has anyone tried downloading content that requires authentication via wget? How can I get this done?

Thank you very much.
Jorge
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Automatic file download via wget

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure what files you're trying to download, but if you have to be logged in, then automatic retrieval is probably not supported.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jfmatav

Re: Automatic file download via wget

Post by jfmatav »

I am trying to download some csv registration files for a EFY session in my country.
How would we be able to know for certain? I would like to know something beyond "probably not supported".

Return to “General Discussions”