Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Hagothsen

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Post by Hagothsen »

Sadly,

The lack of hymn lyrics continues. Does anyone know who we can contact to find out which congregational hymns will be sung in each session so we can overlay our own lyrics? or at least call out the hymn# so as not to lose half of the first verse thumbing through the hymn book in the dark?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Hagothsen wrote:The lack of hymn lyrics continues. Does anyone know who we can contact to find out which congregational hymns will be sung in each session so we can overlay our own lyrics?
I don't know. Personally I doubt that such information would be released ahead of time (not that it's a huge secret, but just that that requires setting up a communication channel for that information). But if you could find that out, it would help a lot of people. I would probably just start with the main Church switchboard (now there's an antique word that some of us still use!) and start asking questions -- the switchboard operators usually do a pretty good job of routing calls to people who can help.
Hagothsen wrote:... or at least call out the hymn# so as not to lose half of the first verse thumbing through the hymn book in the dark?
You already made that suggestion six months ago and got a response that hymn numbers have the same language problem that lyrics do -- they're not the same in all languages.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

Sorry, I meant calling out the hymn numbers locally at the pulpit for those in attendance.
ddeserae

Post by ddeserae »

We still cannot see the words to the songs. When I went to conference yesterday morning at the conference center, the words were posted. At home on TV, the words continue to not be posted! According to the men in my life, this made the songs at priesthood weak.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

This topic has been beaten to death already. Essentially it has been decided that English should be afforded no more prominence than other languages, therefore, no more hymn lyrics. Also, because non-English hymnals have different pages, they can’t simply call out the page #. I personally dislike the idea (to put it mildly), but I trust the decision was made by someone with proper authority. So I’m working on my own solution.

I’m slowly transposing lyrics into an Excel file, so that I can overlay hymn lyrics using vMix for those in the chapel. I should have it in place for October Conference.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Turn on closed captioning for the hymn. Turn it off again afterward. Although there is a delay in the appearance of the words.

Or just have someone locally call out the hymn number when they first find it.
wmgwin

Post by wmgwin »

I find it most interesting to me that this thread has been ongoing for a year yet we only first experienced this difficulty yesterday.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

Lyrics have been missing, at least for us, for much longer than yesterday.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

wmgwin wrote:I find it most interesting to me that this thread has been ongoing for a year yet we only first experienced this difficulty yesterday.
They stopped broadcasting English language hymn lyrics with the video feed at April conference two years ago. They still show them inside the Conference Center. I wonder if they have someone who adds them there on the preview loop, but they just don't send them out with the worldwide video feed. I suppose it would be interesting to broadcast 20,000 members stumbling through an intermediate hymn as we now do at the stake center.

It would be nice to have the names of the hymns in advance, even if they changed during the session (I believe sometimes they do.) When we webcast our stake conferences, we send a shot of the hymn number board before the session starts so that they may also be posted in the receiving location chapels.

As the paraphrased scripture says (lightning bolt alert), one church, one video feed. I am glad they have not taken that track with the audio portion of General Conference broadcasts.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

Things may get interesting when we switch to the new hymn book.

Return to “General Discussions”