Mission Required Tablet

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mission Required Tablet

Post by russellhltn »

Since Monday is a holiday in the US, you may have to wait until Tuesday.

It if the mmd account wasn't created automatically, I'm not sure how the old ward paid for it. The funds may just be sitting there. This certainly sounds like something that needs to be called in to get fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I was under the impression that the Other:Missionary Mobile Device accounts were automatically swept once funds had been deposited into them. There is a separate Other:Missionary Mobile Device account for each missionary, and funds in the ward missionary fund are not to be transferred to or co-mingled with funds in the Other:Missionary Mobile Device account. I can't see any way for funds from an Other:Missionary Mobile Device account to be transferred to another unit.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

russellhltn wrote:Since Monday is a holiday in the US, you may have to wait until Tuesday.
Memorial day is next week, not this week, but I'll take it this week too if we really are off :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Since Monday is a holiday in the US, you may have to wait until Tuesday.
Memorial day is next week, not this week, but I'll take it this week too if we really are off :)
Bah. I'm on vacation, so I'm thinking a week ahead. :roll:
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pempey
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by pempey »

cnhyland wrote:We had a new family move into our ward recently, with a son serving a mission. The missionary's mobile device account has not transferred to our ward yet. Our bishop approved the transfer of the missionary's accounts a week ago and it has not shown up yet. The missionary will lose his iPad at the end of this month if the mobile device account balance is not satisfied. The missionary's old ward said they paid for the iPad, but the mission office has no record of the payment. It is Sunday, so I cannot call the financial help line. Any ideas? I will call on Monday, but i know that the financial clerk from the previous ward has already called support, and he was told to go into MLS and create a Missionary Mobile Device account. Neither his old ward, nor our ward, has the authority to create a MMD account. I will try to call and sort it out, but it seems like we are going in circles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
As of February 2016, missionaries have been asked to pay the Technology Use and Purchase fees for iPads through the LDS Online Store and not through the account in their wards. Each missionary has a link in their Missionary Portal to a page where the fees can be paid for that missionary. The missionary can send this link to anyone assisting the missionary with payment. The only circumstance where a missionary can still pay through the ward is when only part of the Technology Use Fee or part of the Purchase Fee has been previously paid in the ward. If a partial payment has been made, then the proper payment options will not be available at the LDS Online Store and the ward clerk will need to contact the Global Service Center for assistance, reactivating the account, as they have all gone inactive now. This may be why the missionary account has not shown up, even though the other accounts have transferred.

If you would like more specific assistance for a particular missionary, please email your question to mssdevicepayment@ldschurch.org and I can work with you there.
tomcatt

Post by tomcatt »

I am currently a missionary serving in the Colorado Fort Collins Mission. I have a mission issued iPad that I have paid $300 to use. I am writing this post on it. :)

Android tablets have been used for about 9 months now in the Colorado Fort Collins Mission, and I suspect that the change was worldwide. Upon entering the mission, or in the MTC, the missionary will be instructed as to how their device is to be set up so that they can get the mission specific apps. Please let me know if you need any other information, as I am quite willing to answer all of your questions.

Many missions have "loaner" iPad or Android tablets that can be borrowed for the duration of a missionaries mission. However, if they break the loaner, the missionary will probably need to pay for a replacement. If the cost is an issue for the missionary, their family, or their ward. They should contact the mission office to see if they have a loaner program, they will do their best to help you figure it out.

Like russellhltn said earlier, your missionary may be able buy the tablet from a missionary leaving the mission if your mission office says that will work. This is all done on a by mission basis.

I will be following this discussion, and I will do my best to answer questions about the missionary tablet program. Have a great day!
-Elder Thomas Parker, Colorado Fort Collins Mission

I'm just a regular missionary. 8-)
I love it when the original post's author never says "it worked!" :P
jlhoopes

Post by jlhoopes »

I am reading this to see if I can learn if missionaries in the Argentina Santa Fe mission have electronic devices, because my grandson is entering the MTC in a month, and it makes a difference in whether he buys and takes a camera or not. We just returned (August 2017) from serving in the office of the Italy Milan Mission, where our missionaries were provided first with ipads and they are now switching to androids (Samsung). They are really very useful in doing missionary work and it makes them much more effective, because so much is now done with them, including videos. Missionaries are not asked to pay for them, but they are asked to pay if they negligently break or lose them, which is the same policy if they break or lose their mission provided phone. Missionaries I know do not use their cameras any more, they use their ipads or androids to take pix, and they take a lot of them, including videos. So if anyone knows if they have these devices in Argentina Santa Fe, please post, and if you have any questions about Italy, feel free to ask.
tomcatt

Post by tomcatt »

jlhoopes,
If your grandson is going to a mobile device mission, it should say so in the call packet. I'm not sure you have access to that though. Here is what I know:
I know that with a few exceptions, all missions in the United States have a missionary mobile device program.
I also know that the following missions have a mobile device program:
Spain Madrid Mission
Germany Berlin Mission
England London Mission
Utah Salt Lake City West Mission
California Santa Rosa Mission
Japan Tokyo Mission
Utah Orem Mission
Arizona Tucson Mission
Colorado Fort Collins Mission

It is probably safe to assume that there are other missions in Japan, Spain, Germany, and England that have mobile devices as well.

I have yet to hear of missionaries outside of North America, Europe, and Japan with mobile devices. But this is from my limited point of view.

There are many countries where the conditions are unsafe for someone who has an item that is as valuable as an Apple or Samsung device. Or the physical conditions are too rough. But in first world countries, the Missionary Mobile Device program helps move the work of Salvation forward!

The most reliable way I know of to determine if an individual mission has mobile devices or not is by calling the mission office of the mission in question.

Best Wishes!
-Elder Thomas Parker, Colorado Fort Collins Mission

I'm just a regular missionary. 8-)
I love it when the original post's author never says "it worked!" :P
jennbell4

Post by jennbell4 »

My son is in an android tablet mission and we had to purchase it but it is his after he comes home. I think they can monitor them easier than iPads. They have their own App Store with only approved apps. Also if you can’t afford one you can either buy used. Like someone else mentioned the ward mission fund can help pay for those things. One thing I can say is we couldn’t afford a lot of stuff my husband was unemployed for over a year and a half but somehow we were able to purchase everything our son needed to go to serve in France. It really is quite awesome for them to have the technology they need to teach the gospel and to communicate with you on p-day. They don’t have to purchase all the books and things because they are in the App Store so it really is worth it. Just have faith and know the Lord will always provide a way when a missionary wants to serve.
Aplman

Post by Aplman »

The church is cheaping out asking missionaries to bring android tablets/phones. I think it is fine for the kids to bring them but for Pete’s sake, let them bring their iPhones if they want. Give them a choice. I just forked out $230 for a Samsung galaxy J7 when my daughter, 5 months ago, saved her pennies and bought an iphone. MAAS 360 will manage both, neither particularly well but it will do it. The days in corporate America of single platform died several year ago, the church should come up to speed and offer choice too, especially when the burden of the cost is on the future missionaries. .

Return to “General Discussions”