Amateur Radio and Emergency Communications

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Amateur Radio and Emergency Communications

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:49 pm

dpace1 wrote:I read somewhere that the church dozen't allow Ham radio training in church buildings?

I don't see a problem with training, as long as it follows Handbook 2: 21.2 and any other rules for non-church meetings.

The bigger issue is installation. From the Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses and Other Church Property

Wards and stakes should not purchase or accept donated satellite telephone or amateur radio equipment for use in an emergency or for installation in a meetinghouse.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

matthewnielsen

Postby matthewnielsen » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi all,

This thread has all but dried up, but it seems like something that should still be a priority. I realize that if a general authority were to start directing that EMCOMM preparation and training take place it could cause unwanted speculation and worry. This is likely why the stakes are responsible for these things at this point. But, this article made me think there should be a renewed effort to encourage the wards and stakes to get some training.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/u ... eb79e.html

73s from Arizona,
Matthew KX6MRN

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:29 pm

matthewnielsen wrote:I realize that if a general authority were to start directing that EMCOMM preparation and training take place it could cause unwanted speculation and worry.

Not necessarily. We just had a Hamfest in Salt Lake City, where Allan F. Packer (WA7BKD) of the Seventy gave the Saturday morning keynote address. The brethren have always pushed the issue of being self-reliant in adverse times and communications has always been an important part of that. providentliving.org was setup to continue to get the word out as to what wards, stakes, and/or individuals can do to prepare.

As far as utilizing amateur radio, it's very different here in Utah where there are nearly 450 stakes along the Wasatch Front. Ham radio can play a part, but there isn't enough spectrum available for each stake here to have their own frequency set aside for nets and emergencies.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

KeithCartwright

Postby KeithCartwright » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 am

I wonder how many of the LDS stakes in Utah hold a regularly scheduled net for communications to be utilized in case of emergency?

poppytim

Postby poppytim » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:38 pm

dpace1 wrote:I read somewhere that the church dozen't allow Ham radio training in church buildings?

So NOT True..... We TEACH, Build Antennas and practice good Amateur Practices from the Meeting House Monthly.... Heavenly Father wants and NEEDS Amateurs to be Ready and Prepared!

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Postby rmrichesjr » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Fwiw, the first page or so of this thread has some history and details about the policy that (if I understand correctly) prohibits permanent installation of Ham equipment in meetinghouses:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ur+antenna

Return to “General Discussions”