Amateur Radio and Emergency Communications

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
northernscout-p40

Church nets and church sponsored training???

Post by northernscout-p40 »

I'm in Victoria BC. You can look up my web site: ldsradio.ca. There is another web site in the north west United States (Washington and Oregon, etc) called Mercury NW and if you go to http://www.mercurynorthwest.org/index.php you will be able to read about the interaction between the church and us members who have our ham radio certifications.

Its my understanding, from all that I've been told, that the church gave direct support for amateur radio including some funding in the past. Someone got hold of that and used that information to beat up on the church claiming that amateur radio was being used for some commercial enterprise. So, the church separated itself from that and us members have been carrying along under our own steam yet assisting agencies of the church on a request by request basis. If there is a disaster somewhere the leadership of the church know who to call upon for volunteers to go out and provide communications. Nothing has really been lost, external working groups like Mercury Amateur Radio Association continue to act and provide some cohesive structure.

If you are a member and wish to become involved or at least in the loop then Google Mercury and find the group closest to you and tell them you exist and want to "play radio" as my friend puts it.
ve1vq-p40

Post by ve1vq-p40 »

The Earl wrote:Wow, apparently word has gotten out. I am getting a 503 error now.

This is May 2009 and I'm getting the same error on LDSHAMS.COM! I hope this hasn't been a long term problem.

Dave
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

ve1vq wrote:This is May 2009 and I'm getting the same error on LDSHAMS.COM! I hope this hasn't been a long term problem.

Dave
When I go to ldshams.com I just get their normal webpage. Must have been a short term condition.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
ve1vq-p40

All is well - now

Post by ve1vq-p40 »

avskip wrote:When I go to ldshams.com I just get their normal webpage. Must have been a short term condition.

After your message I found the solution. T'was 'cookies not enabled'. All is well!

Dave
VE1VQ
ve1vq-p40

equipment and antennas for chapels

Post by ve1vq-p40 »

I've been told by the Facilities Management people over our Stake (Dartmouth Nova Scotia) that no equipment would be purchased by the Church (policy) and no antennas should be installed for aesthetic reasons and building integrity (e.g. water damage) unless directed by the Stake President. Our Stake is too large for VHF so any antenna would have to be HF NVIS.

Now with the FM budget cutbacks announced, it is even less likely that anything will be installed.

In the event of an emergency, it is preferred that licensed members operate from their own home stations where equipment and antennas would have been properly maintained.

Dave
VE1VQ
brentcase

Post by brentcase »

That is the same take we have in our Stake in the Carolina's (My stake/Ward is on the border of North and South). It isn't policy to purchase equipment but to rely on the volunteer amateur radio enthusiast to supply their own equipment and expertise. In an emergency in our hurricane prone area, of course there possibly will be phone/cell communications in some areas but not all. If not, there will be cellphone texting, possibly Internet, even runners or driving to dispatch information. When all else fails, we are planning to strategically place HAM's using their mobile 2 meter gear near leadership or command posts (Ward/Stake Centers) in a simplex relay network if repeaters fail or are overloaded with Red Cross/RACES/ARES nets. Since LDS HAM's are few and far between, I am contacting local HAM's that would be willing to aid in church communications. For those that have great distances to cover like us, try keyboarding using some of the 2 meter packet modes such as APRS or "Weak Signal Digital FM" mode using 'DominoEX8'.

Brent - K4BSC
http://www.aimhighest.com
ve1vq-p40

Post by ve1vq-p40 »

Our chapel has one of those free-standing steeples out in front of the building. I've always wanted to install a vertical antenna inside it, or be able to use the lightning rod ground wire for a radiator.

We have no trees of any decent height near enough to the building or capable of hiding any permanent antenna. One of these Field Days I do hope to operate from the chapel with an end fed from the building out to a 20-25 foot high spruce at the back of the lot.

Does anyone else plan to operate FD from a chapel this year?

Dave
VE1VQ
heartgard

Post by heartgard »

I'm joining in on this conversation a little late because I just saw it tonight, but I just passed my General in January and use the Yaesu VX8. Our Stake does a weekly emergency net on a simplex frequency and we have more and more people from the Stake joining each week. I'm also involved in the Ares/Races at our County EOC. I think members are starting to see the wisdom of Amateur Radio. One of our local Stakes has a website with some good info on it.
http://pschamps.webs.com/tipsheets.htm

Jackie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's great to see that you're getting involved with the county EOC. I worry that our emergency plans are a little to insular. There's also a lot more to emergency communications than just getting the equipment and holding nets. Hopefully the involvement with the county EOC will help in that area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
heartgard

Post by heartgard »

Our EOC has some training planned for us. I also would like to take the ARRL EM Comm classes I, II, and III. Off and on I try to study for my Extra. I don't really need it but I guess I'm going for it just so I can say I did it! Jackie

Return to “General Discussions”