"Mid-singles"

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

"Mid-singles"

Post by russellhltn »

[Moderator note: This topic was split off from the New Handbook Coming? topic, since it deals with a separate issue.]
sbradshaw wrote:Some examples of changes off the top of my head since 2010: policies relating to "mid-singles"
There was? I don't think the Handbook ever covered that - that was always a "local" creation.
Last edited by aebrown on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moderator comment added for split topic
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: "Mid-singles"

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:There was?
Yes. They are not called "mid-singles". They are referred to as single adults from age 31 to 45.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Yes. They are not called "mid-singles". They are referred to as single adults from age 31 to 45.
Yes, the SA wards got capped at 45. There was weeping and waling and gnashing of teeth I could hear even from over here.

"Mid-single" is usually a group in the 27-45 age range. Too old to feel at home with the typical YSA, but too young to what to hang out with the widows and widowers in the SA.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:"Mid-single" is usually a group in the 27-45 age range.
Not around here. We have struggled mightily to follow the guidance in the Handbook that identifies age 30 as the transition point from Young Single Adults to Single Adults.

I am well aware that in some areas a younger age is used. Priesthood leaders in our area have been careful to follow the requirements of the Handbook. The guidelines for establishing a Single Adult ward allow those 31-45 to participate. It is good to see this defined officially.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:We have struggled mightily to follow the guidance in the Handbook that identifies age 30 as the transition point from Young Single Adults to Single Adults.
Just as long as a 30 yo is allowed to say in YSA. ;) I've heard of cases where people have been kicked out of YSA on their 30th birthday.

Regardless of what age is used, there's always a problem when one's friends are split between two age groups. I think the mid-singles was some leaders response to that.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Just as long as a 30 yo is allowed to say in YSA. ;) I've heard of cases where people have been kicked out of YSA on their 30th birthday.
Yes, although I am not quite sure what magically happens at midnight on the last day that a young single adult is 30 and becomes 31.

But we have taken to calling the 31-45 group the "Mid-Singles" group, and once that became the conventional definition in this area, a lot of conflicts went away.

Perhaps in new revisions to the Handbook this area will be better defined. It is the greatest challenge I face in the responsibilities associated with my current calling in the Church.

Alas, that discussion would necessitate the creation of a new topic.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But we have taken to calling the 31-45 group the "Mid-Singles" group, and once that became the conventional definition in this area, a lot of conflicts went away.
That's good. It's just that I think in some parts of the church (like California and Utah), "mid-singles" straddle the both YSA and SA groups. So you may run into confusion when talking to people outside your area.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think "mid-singles" exists (outside of the handbook) because nobody approaching a certain age wants "young" taken out of their classification leaving an empty hole. "Mid" eases them in.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:I think "mid-singles" exists (outside of the handbook) because nobody approaching a certain age wants "young" taken out of their classification leaving an empty hole. "Mid" eases them in.
I don't think it's the title as much as the fact that singles in their upper 20's with a career has more in common with the 30 somethings than the just-turned 20 who are still in school. And there's always been a problem when a core group of friends ("clique" has a negative connotation) start crossing the YSA/SA line and can no longer attend the same events. I see the mids as a way of softening that hard border.

I don't think the prior handbooks forbid the mixing between groups. Our stake had a policy that all singles were welcome to both YSA and SA, so we didn't have the problem with that hard border. People came if they were comfortable with that group. We didn't card anyone.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I don't think the prior handbooks forbid the mixing between groups. Our stake had a policy that all singles were welcome to both YSA and SA, so we didn't have the problem with that hard border. People came if they were comfortable with that group. We didn't card anyone.
We don't card them either. But we read the Handbook to be a little more clear that there is a difference between the two groups, starting with the separate committees and the separate instructions for each of the two groups. On careful reading, there are some subtle but clear differences between the Single Adults and the Young Single Adults and their organizational structure.

Nevertheless, local leaders do receive inspiration, and there are plenty of areas where the Handbook is not clear. Leaders see things differently in different areas of the world.

Return to “General Discussions”