Facebook check-in / google maps

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
wrigjef

Facebook check-in / google maps

Post by wrigjef »

Some church buildings are available for check in on Facebook while others are not. Most church buildings are on google maps but some, especially newer ones, are not. Is there a process that a member can go through with Facebook and google to make these things a reality? Many non-member Facebook friends check in at their church, I'd like to be able to do the same thing, seeing the we are at our church building more then once a week, it may generate some discussion. It would be nice if there were a church produced "how to guide" that members could utilize.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Facebook check-in / google maps

Post by russellhltn »

For Facebook, anyone can create a location. And in checking around, I see some that do look "user created". However, it appears the proper way is for the church to add it to their list of a locations in their "business" page.

Adding a location in Google Maps seems more straightforward, but I suspect the church originally created a number of them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Re: Facebook check-in / google maps

Post by RossEvans »

I have no idea about Facebook. As for the general Google Maps site, I started a thread five years ago suggesting that the Church claim these sites on Google by posting authorized descriptions and links. Spot-checking by searching in Google Maps today, it looks like someone, somewhere, sometimes posts for some meetinghouses. I can't tell if this activity is organized or ad hoc.

Return to “General Discussions”