General Conference sessions prior to 1971

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russelljd

Re: General Conference sessions prior to 1971

Post by russelljd »

russellhltn wrote:
russelljd wrote:1971 is when Correlation started reviewing content (coincides with release of the modern Church Magazines.) Anything before 1971 is not Correlated which would need to be done before official release.
Pretty good reason. I was wondering if it was availability or condition of the media.
Video recordings exist for at least a decade before the 70s and pieces are released on occasion. One example is President Monson's first talk as a newly called Apostle available at http://bcove.me/behovq1r
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russelljd wrote:Video recordings exist for at least a decade before the 70s and pieces are released on occasion. One example is President Monson's first talk as a newly called Apostle available at http://bcove.me/behovq1r
Yes, but I was wondering if the pre-1971 archive was in such bad shape that it didn't make sense to do a mass-release. Also the VTRs that would play that format have long since been retired. It may be too expensive to convert en mass except as needed for special reasons.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

russellhltn wrote:Yes, but I was wondering if the pre-1971 archive was in such bad shape that it didn't make sense to do a mass-release. Also the VTRs that would play that format have long since been retired. It may be too expensive to convert en mass except as needed for special reasons.
They've all been digitized for preservation purposes. Given the age of the media they were recorded on they were starting to deteriorate and the Church History department went through a major migration effort to save anything that had any doctrinal or historical significance (such as General Conference.)
rformigone

Post by rformigone »

For those with access to the church library across the street from the conference center in salt lake City, you'll be surprised at the stuff you have access to there.
Pygosceles

Post by Pygosceles »

Audio from 1936, 1938-2012 and video from 1949 to 2017 can be found online here for the general conferences during those years:

https://history.churchofjesuschrist.org ... -resources
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Thank you so much for posting that information here! It's great to see the Church's continuing commitment to transparency, and corresponding trust in individual members to be able to process and understand potentially difficult topics. As well as the democratization of information access, which enables each of us to better comprehend the Lord's work in our day.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Aren't the audio conference talks wonderful? Especially from the 1970s. Their love and testimony, not to mention the Spirit can be felt. In this day and age the church is on the defense more than ever, and things are quite fragile PR wise versus how things were back then. I was able to get the cassette tapes off of EBAY of the conferences dating back to 1974 starting back in the 2001 time frame and after, before they had it online. I especially enjoyed the leadership sessions and other sessions that were held during conference week and were recorded back then.
Ryan Gardner

Return to “General Discussions”